spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimbach13
join:2002-01-17
Blackwood, NJ

jimbach13

no speakers after windows 8 upgrade

I got a little board over the weekend, and decided to upgrade to windows 8. The process was smooth, and after a few hours, I sort of like windows 8...eventhough there is a lot to learn. My only problem is that my speakers now don't work. I updated all the drivers listed here on dell's website, and my Bose Campanion 2 speakers are not detected. Under the sound option in the control panel it even says the speakers are not connected. I can plug in head phones and hear sound, so at least I know audio is possible. I also plugged the speakers into my ipad, and they worked, so I know it's not the speakers. I also tried plugging them into the headphone jack, and that didn't work.

I have a dell studio xps 9100, realtek hd soundcard.

Anyone else have this problem? I read about other windows 8 audio problems, but not like mine.

Thanks for any help!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

You need to update the drivers for the soundcard at the soundcard website

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to jimbach13

MVM

to jimbach13
I ran into this with a Dell Vostro, and the "fix" was to first mute, then unmute the sound using the task bar icon.

But updating to the latest drivers from Realtek wouldn't hurt. Dell is usually several versions behind on what they have posted, and you are dealing with a brand new OS.
jimbach13
Blackwood, NJ

jimbach13

I will give the mute a try, but nothing else has worked. I just rolled back to windows. 7 and am still having speaker issues. I used the driver from the utility cd I received with the computer, and nothing. I get sound when headphones are plugged in, but not through the speakers.

Thanks for the reply!
jimbach13

jimbach13

Muting didn't fix it...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to jimbach13

Premium Member

to jimbach13
said by jimbach13:

I get sound when headphones are plugged in, but not through the speakers.

Are you using the same input on the computer for the headphones and the speakers? If so, double-check your speaker connection and cables. Are the speakers powered and is the power on? Do the speakers have their own volume control and is that turned up all the way?

Do you have another set of speakers you can test with?

wcda
join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA

wcda to jimbach13

to jimbach13
I found that I had to go into the control panel under sound and change the speaker selection. For some reason my computer does not like digital speakers.
jimbach13
Blackwood, NJ

jimbach13

I ended up reinstalling windows 7. Even then, I still had speaker problems. My speakers have just one black plug, which always went into the black input, for the rear speakers. After going back to windows 7, the black input wouldn't work. I tried the other inputs, and finally got sound out of the front speaker jack...can't remember the color off the top of my head. At least at works. I will probably give windows 8 another shot in a few months. I was starting to like it after a few days, but for now, I am happy to have sound. I should have tried the other inputs before I rolled back the OS

Thanks guys!
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Why didn't you just install windows 8 on another partition then you could have both?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to jimbach13

Premium Member

to jimbach13
Audio out (for stereo audio) is always the green port. The black port is the rear channel output for surround sound. For there to be a signal on the black port, you would need the speaker setup for "surround speakers" AND a surround source. ALL stereo audio is output the green port.

I've never seen this setup any other way. Each port has a specific use and color. They have been standardized in this way for quite awhile. The only exception I've seen is with some laptops. With limited room for ports, they can sometimes be mapped for different uses.

I will also point out that with the exception of the microphone port, they are all OUTPUTS, not inputs.