reply to Boricua

Re: Run in to store for 15 minutes.....

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

I had it for not two weeks and already caught douchebaggery on video

(youtube clip)

That's perfectly normal in NY. Get a garage or a bumper guard if stuff like this upsets you. Be happy it wasn't a pickup with a towing ball in the back, that would give you something to be really upset about.

And that camera is great, except it's inadmissible in any meaningful way, so ultimately a waste of money.

It may not be admissible in court, but it is with your insurance company and with cops. This avoids the he said she said.

EDIT:
News footage

In the first video (didn't watch the second), you can't prove which car was moving which one wasn't. Just because the one with the camera looks stationary doesn't make it so. I guess if the cops were really diligent (which they won't be in 99% of cases without injuries), they can ask the guy in the front car to show that his reverse lights work, but even then the best they can do is give him malfunctioning equipment ticket, which is he remains calm he can claim that the lights stopped working from the impact.

Overall this was a bad scam, normally when this happens on a "pro" level, the car that is going to be hit has a switch to disable brake lights and just stops. What is your camera going to show then? That he stopped short without brake lights? You still hit him, best case scenario 90/10 fault distribution.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by Dodge:

In the first video (didn't watch the second)...

You need to watch the second video. BTW, it can be proven the car didn't move. If you watch closely (1st vid), the car WAS stationary while other lanes of traffic was moving.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

In the first video (didn't watch the second)...

You need to watch the second video. BTW, it can be proven the car didn't move. If you watch closely (1st vid), the car WAS stationary while other lanes of traffic was moving.

Watched the second video. Since this is Canada I don't know what happened, but in the US I know a very good way it could have ended. 1) Police investigation reveals that there is no conclusive evidence (aka we don't give a shit and only doing this because the news got involved) 2) the accused sues the shit out of the camera owner for defamation of character, slander and other random garbage (and of course the damaged bumper)

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

said by Dodge:

Watched the second video. Since this is Canada I don't know what happened, but in the US I know a very good way it could have ended. 1) Police investigation reveals that there is no conclusive evidence (aka we don't give a shit and only doing this because the news got involved) 2) the accused sues the shit out of the camera owner for defamation of character, slander and other random garbage (and of course the damaged bumper)

I agree with both points, that IS the American way .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT

Been a pain getting some of the parts(headlights are and front spoiler) when they only built 5000 Mazdaspeed Miata's. But here are some more photos of the damage and cutting the hood open. »imgur.com/a/hJe2q

ame101

Southington, CT
reply to ame101

Final coast $7012.30 I'll get some pics up in a day or so.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1

Is most of the cost because of the hood?

My wife's car a 06 TL was side swiped in a hit and run and the final cost was appox 4k or so.

ame101

Southington, CT

Hood=$773
Bumper=$420
Each Headlight=$653
Spoiler=$933

And so on. I'll post a PDF when I get the pics up.

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY
reply to ame101

You just can't tell anymore. I creased up the rocker panel on my Civic, cost $2100 to fix. Anytime *paint* is involved, the price goes up by 400%. I guess.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to ame101

Yipes. What was the spoiler made out of, carbon fiber? I think treetop is correct, there were pages and pages on mine that showed paint prep, removal,etc,etc,taping, and don't forget disposal and eviromental fees. I guess that is good since they were thorough.

ame101

Southington, CT
reply to ame101

Spoiler is just plastic stuck on bumper.

»www.miata.net/gallery/images/05lava.jpg part on bottom of bumper.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ame101

Click for full size
Could be worse this is what happened when i left my brother drive. Did i mention it was a straight away and rush hour in the city of bethlem. Lots of pissed off people. It was actually on its roof but this is after the tow truck was half done. He drifted off the road and drove the front wheel up the guy wire of the pole in the rear. Claims he fell asleep but we were mid conversation. Personally i have to think it was that hot ass woman across the street. Like i told him oh well you sure cleaned my bed out fast and efficient.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

Lol is that right near Lehigh Pizza? Or the other side of the bridge?

There was something just like that on the local news about a cop car that the same thing happened too, except he hit the top and the car just stayed angled up.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Weindot hill if i spelled it correctly. Doesnt matter the truck on roof in the middle screwed the whole area up. Rush hour to boot. The tow truck dragged it there to allow traffic to pass. dam guy wire should be more than 6 inches off the road. Of course he had to jump the sidewalk to reach the wire. Felt like a carnival ride lol.

Grimm

Lol THESE DAMN WIRES JUMPING OUT IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

I know they really should teach them better. Funny since i was in the passenger seat i got first hand how it went. It was like bounced the sidewalk in my mind. Good clear view of pole and just didnt feel like it should as i also never saw the guy wire. Truck climbed it like it was the road. If you look real close you can see the roof caved in the rear. Went from ok here we go to OMFG jimmy are you ok. As bent metal obstructed my view of seeing him . It was about a year ago tho so we laugh about it now. Had visions of losing my brother that day. Guess to stay up top you would actually have to hit the brakes. He not only didnt hit the brakes he was on the gas the whole time.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to rody_44

Interesting thing is I bet at one point it was farther off the road. But then the city made the roads wider.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

Maybe, i dont know the funny story that goes along with it is we were working in wind gap that day and we get a call from our boss not to take 378 home because some idiot rolled there truck on weindot hill and traffic is backed up to RTE22. Laughed and said i only wish we could avoid that idiot. I forever get to remind him he is the only person i know that can roll a vehicle at 35mph on a straight away. Im sure everyone that came upon it was like how the hell could you even do that. Truck ended up in the middle of the road upside down.

Grimm

lol too funny

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

I can't find the news story here where a police car ran up a guy wire and was sitting on the back bumper. If I come across the picture I will post it.

too_funny

@comcast.net

said by Beezel :
I can't find the news story here where a police car ran up a guy wire and was sitting on the back bumper. If I come across the picture I will post it.
You wouldn't happen to be referring to the "MPD cruiser up a pole" would you?

»wreg.com/2013/04/29/memphis-poli···ts-pole/

I have to admit, when I saw that on the news I laughed so hard I fell to the floor.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

said by Dodge:

said by Tomek:

Invest in Dashcam,

I had it for not two weeks and already caught douchebaggery on video

(youtube clip)

That's perfectly normal in NY. Get a garage or a bumper guard if stuff like this upsets you. Be happy it wasn't a pickup with a towing ball in the back, that would give you something to be really upset about.

And that camera is great, except it's inadmissible in any meaningful way, so ultimately a waste of money.

It may not be admissible in court, but it is with your insurance company and with cops. This avoids the he said she said.

EDIT:
News footage

Priceless.

I got a 14 dollar universal mount on eBay and have my droid running anytime the engine is on. DailyRoads Voyager is about the best free app to take care of all your dash-cam needs.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to too_funny

said by too_funny :

said by Beezel :
You wouldn't happen to be referring to the "MPD cruiser up a pole" would you?

»wreg.com/2013/04/29/memphis-poli···ts-pole/

I have to admit, when I saw that on the news I laughed so hard I fell to the floor.

That's the one. Thanks.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to workablob

said by workablob:

Priceless.

I got a 14 dollar universal mount on eBay and have my droid running anytime the engine is on. DailyRoads Voyager is about the best free app to take care of all your dash-cam needs.

Dave

I've actually been really tempted to set this up. I already have the official car mode dock for my Droid X and always dock it when I am in the car. As of now I use Torque extensively and will probably use the Track Record plugin to overlay OBD data over the videos. I just need to figure out if it is possible to have the car mode activation trigger the track recorder directly which would be extremely handy.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Grimm

reply to too_funny

Yup that's what I was talking about. Thought it was more local; guess not lol.
--