Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to julesism

Re: [DVR] TiVo vs Windows Media Center?

im using 8 without any extra software. ceton actually told me they are running 6 in their test machine.

amro4

join:2008-10-07
Colleyville, TX
reply to amro4

I finally decided to go the WMC/Win7 route instead of TiVo. I tried out stuff on both Win8 and Win7 and am a bit disappointed with Win8. There are a few nice hacks that are available on Win7 MCE that are not on Win8. Plus, I don't have to hack Win8 to boot directly into MCE.

I tried everything out that I want to do in piecemeal. I've now got hardware on order to build my box.

I'm building an AMD A10 based rig on an ASRock MicroATX motherboard w/8G RAM, SSD, 2x1.5TB drives in RAID configuration. Also got an MCE remote with IR dongle that programmed into my Harmony remote just fine. Using the HDHomeRun PRIME 3-tuner box with the option to add another. Will use MyMovies (which I've been using for my Dune media player) to build my movie library using Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 or 5 which integrates into MCE.

With this configuration, I can have my DVR and Blu-Ray viewing on one box and eliminate the FiOS DVR and Dune Media player.

billdacat266

@lmco.com

Consider installing a 120gb SSD for the OS (W7-WMC). Do a clean install of the OS; leaving the bloat-ware behind. Your WMC will run like a top with supper quick channel changes and snappy remote response. BTW:You will also enjoy rock-solid system stability.

3x HTPC's HDHR3-CC prime and Hauppaug OTA tuner.

Looking at a new HDHR4-CC that is due out mid 2013.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to amro4

A similar setup to my own and it works very well:)

I also use an XBox360 as an "extender" and this works well on Verizon FIOS except for HBO. Verizon allows electronic Flags re the HBO channel at the latter's request in order to STOP more than ONE copy of any given HBO program being made. Unfortunately for some sill reason the Flag thinks that playing back fthru the "extender" is comparable to making a second copy and it will not play this way.

By the way the XBox has a FIOS app and streams about 70 FIOS channels thru the XBox separately. I also get ESPN3, HBOtoGO etc etc etc thru the XBox.

MS stopped any real development of the WMC some while ago but did make it compatible with W8. I am willing to bet that when the XBox720 gets rolled out (perhaps end 2013) It will be a full media center/DVR it it's own right.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
reply to billdacat266

said by billdacat266 :

Looking at a new HDHR4-CC that is due out mid 2013.

That was actually the my favorite announcement of CES, transcoding means that placeshifting is more practical

amro4

Colleyville, TX
reply to amro4

I'm finished with my build and quite happy with it. Certainly MCE is better under Win7 than Win8 as it boots right into it, and behaves more like a media box than a pc.

One nitpick I have is not being able to bounce back and forth between two channels and backing up if I need to. I'm surprised how much I used that. But, I can get past that. The UI is much nicer than the FiOS DVR.

There is one area I'm concernced about, and that is picture quality. Out the box, MCE blacks don't look good and the color does not appear to be as rich. I'll reserve judgement on it until I get both my TV (new plasma) and PC calibrated. I don't know if it's the HDHomeRun PRIME's or the PC itself, because movies through Total Media Theatre look great.

Does anyone know the differences between the Motoroal box video chip and what one would get on a PC?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by amro4:

There is one area I'm concernced about, and that is picture quality. Out the box, MCE blacks don't look good and the color does not appear to be as rich.

If the blacks look more like dark grey it could be related to your video card's dynamic range. With my nvidia card I need to use full dynamic range (0-255) for dark blacks and richer colors. Check your video card's graphic settings and make certain its not set to limited dynamic range (16-255).

amro4

Colleyville, TX

said by bohratom:

said by amro4:

There is one area I'm concernced about, and that is picture quality. Out the box, MCE blacks don't look good and the color does not appear to be as rich.

If the blacks look more like dark grey it could be related to your video card's dynamic range. With my nvidia card I need to use full dynamic range (0-255) for dark blacks and richer colors. Check your video card's graphic settings and make certain its not set to limited dynamic range (16-255).

Thanks for that. I searched Anand and found some articles on HTPC's and they had discovered a bug that had that setting you mentioned swapped on ATI's Vision Center settings. I'll check that when I go home tonight.