Premium Member

Patent Trolls going after end users now

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· canners/

Despicable.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

2 recommendations

voxframe

These assholes need to be dragged out into the street and have the living shit beaten out of them.

Enough is enough with this vile use of litigation and waste of time for the justice system. Something should be enacted to just put worthless scumbags like this behind bars. It's no different from fraud in the end.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by from the article :
"He said, if you hook up a scanner and e-mail a PDF document - we have a patent that covers that as a process."

It didn't seem credible that Hill was demanding money for just using basic office equipment exactly the way it was intended to be used. So Vicinanza clarified:

"So you're claiming anyone on a network with a scanner owes you a license?" asked Vicinanza. "He said, 'Yes, that's correct.' And at that point, I just lost it."
So what exactly is the patent office doing all day, if they can approve something this nuts? If anybody needs to be beaten, it's them.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

3 recommendations

StuartMW to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

These assholes need to be dragged out into the street and have the living shit beaten out of them.

Actually a lot of the world's problems could be fixed this way. There was a time when it was done. However that is "unacceptable" these days...

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

+1

Knowing the SMB sector, this is a GOLD MINE. The businesses don't have the cash for a lawyer, so they just roll over and pay it. There goes the capital for X, Y or Z REAL innovation or an improvement in services/products, or possibly an expansion of business into a new area.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

It's no different from fraud in the end.

I'm not so sure about that. They're probably operating within a legal framework. They've got a patent, so they're entitled to defend that patent (though I'm uncertain about the copier vendor/end user part of it).

Once again, if the rules of the game reward aberrant behaviour, it's fruitless to complain about people who exhibit aberrant behaviour that complies with the rules. It's the rules that are wrong - in this case the system that allows such patents.
voxframe

2 recommendations

voxframe to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by voxframe:

Actually a lot of the world's problems could be fixed this way.

Darn right they could.
Would fix all this white collar crime in seconds.
Would fix cheating politicians once and for all.
Would fix scammers, and fraudsters.
Would fix corrupt companies and/or their heads.

Unacceptable my ass. Society's inability and laziness to deal with this stuff is what's unacceptable.

Damn sometimes I wish people would grab pitchforks and torches and just burn the place down. Might accomplish something for once.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by voxframe:

Damn sometimes I wish people would grab pitchforks and torches and just burn the place down. Might accomplish something for once.

I can relate to that...
voxframe

1 recommendation

voxframe to dave

to dave
said by dave:

said by voxframe:

It's no different from fraud in the end.

I'm not so sure about that. They're probably operating within a legal framework. They've got a patent, so they're entitled to defend that patent (though I'm uncertain about the copier vendor/end user part of it).

In essence it's the same as fraud. Yes it's "legal" but by any common sense it's bullshit.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I wonder what it would take for another set of lawyers to file a class-action suit against Project Paperless, LLC and their ilk, along with naming the Big Four copier makers (HP, Brother, Xerox, Canon), all on behalf of scanner users nationwide. They'd take primary aim at PP LLC for attempting to enforce inapplicable patents in order to threaten and harass end users, and they'd take secondary aim at the scanner outfits for marketing products that don't have air-tight patent coverage, thus subjecting their customers to potential liability. Either the scanner makers will then be forced themselves to contest PP LLC's goofy patents and get them tossed, or they'll have to settle with PP LLC on a licensing basis to avoid exposure to customer litigation in the class action.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

[Hi Bob, hope you had a nice New Year's weekend]

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Bob doesn't take holidays

But yeah that statement is now in his database for "future reference". voxframe See Profile might be a terrorist/right-wing extremist etc.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

... But yeah that statement is now in his database for "future reference". voxframe See Profile might be a terrorist/right-wing extremist etc.

Yep. You always have to suspect the posters who don't use an avatar. Or who use cartoon figures...

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Or who use cartoon figures...

Yeah. Oh wait...

Respect My Authoritah!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

Be careful, Some company might have patented the pitchfork and the torch and demand licensing for simply using them.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

I have an application pending for "use of farming implements and non electrical portable lighting apparatus in civil disobedience". OWs people are interested, but I wanted cash up front.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by AVD:

OWs people are interested, but I wanted cash up front.

Well since they're mostly unemployed and have no money I can see that as a problem
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Once again, if the rules of the game reward aberrant behaviour, it's fruitless to complain about people who exhibit aberrant behaviour that complies with the rules. It's the rules that are wrong - in this case the system that allows such patents.

That's the actual root of the problem. The current patent law, that encourages such business. And that must be changed.

If you think that by suing patent trolls you can get rid of them, think again. I can assure you that trolling business will not disappear until the current patent law is changed or dismissed all together.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Actually isnt this form of patent trolling, hitting the end user no different than mafia muscle selling "fire insurance"? I think a state AG should try and have executives of these companies hauled in under extortion charges.
29393955 (banned)
Always the green wire
join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

29393955 (banned) to voxframe

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

Unacceptable my ass. Society's inability and laziness to deal with this stuff is what's unacceptable.

Voxframe - should you ever choose to run for political office, you hereby have my backing and support; I don't care what party or state, you are 'The Man'!

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
said by OZO:

I can assure you that trolling business will not disappear until ...

There are large numbers of low-lifes that like to sail on the legal side of any law knowing full well that they're "untouchable". One can let them do it or

"Drag them out into the street and beat the living shit out of them."

That tends to discourage this kind of behavior.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

In the vigilante imagination, perhaps. In reality, you'll be on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

In our modern times you're correct. There was a time when someone on the receiving end would feel shame and slink away. Those times are long gone.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
Let me say it once again, the Patent Office needs to be blown up, then burned down, and have the ashes pissed on and then buried in a huge pile of sh*t and it would be so much a bonus if the building was full of a$$holes like this when it happens.

The patent office hasn't gone over to join the Dark Side, it is the Dark Side.

Blake

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
In related news

Patent Troll Brandywine Takes Aim at DSL
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by OZO:

I can assure you that trolling business will not disappear until ...

There are large numbers of low-lifes that like to sail on the legal side of any law knowing full well that they're "untouchable". One can let them do it or

"Drag them out into the street and beat the living shit out of them."

That tends to discourage this kind of behavior.

I prefer "change the law" path. Then, when this activity will become illegal, we may call such individuals whatever we want (or they deserve). Until then they are businessmen (activity with purpose of making money) and they do the business legally.

Emotionally I agree with your though...

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
These people are no better than the Westboro church ilk. Same shit, different MO.

bitemeboy
join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY

bitemeboy to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Laws are passed by your government.

Your government loves you more each day.

While you verbally go forth with torches and pitchforks,

your government acts with all means possible,

thanks to your generosity in giving them the financial means.

Work harder, longer, so your government can show it's love for you.

Perhaps a knock at your door some day.

What government love awaits you?

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Considering non security related threads keep coming across the security forums, I thought I might join in with this new tradition.

»mashable.com/2013/01/03/ ··· g-tizen/

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

All discussions of Security and Privacy are welcome here.

Patent trolling affects both security and privacy. Just ask the victims of Prenda.

(The latest on that case, btw--apologies if it doesn't live up to your strict standards of "Security and Privacy".)