Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to OZO

Re: Patent Trolls going after end users now

said by OZO:

I can assure you that trolling business will not disappear until ...

There are large numbers of low-lifes that like to sail on the legal side of any law knowing full well that they're "untouchable". One can let them do it or

"Drag them out into the street and beat the living shit out of them."

That tends to discourage this kind of behavior.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

In the vigilante imagination, perhaps. In reality, you'll be on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

In our modern times you're correct. There was a time when someone on the receiving end would feel shame and slink away. Those times are long gone.
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok

Let me say it once again, the Patent Office needs to be blown up, then burned down, and have the ashes pissed on and then buried in a huge pile of sh*t and it would be so much a bonus if the building was full of a$$holes like this when it happens.

The patent office hasn't gone over to join the Dark Side, it is the Dark Side.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Krisnatharok

In related news

Patent Troll Brandywine Takes Aim at DSL
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by OZO:

I can assure you that trolling business will not disappear until ...

There are large numbers of low-lifes that like to sail on the legal side of any law knowing full well that they're "untouchable". One can let them do it or

"Drag them out into the street and beat the living shit out of them."

That tends to discourage this kind of behavior.

I prefer "change the law" path. Then, when this activity will become illegal, we may call such individuals whatever we want (or they deserve). Until then they are businessmen (activity with purpose of making money) and they do the business legally.

Emotionally I agree with your though...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

These people are no better than the Westboro church ilk. Same shit, different MO.

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

Laws are passed by your government.

Your government loves you more each day.

While you verbally go forth with torches and pitchforks,

your government acts with all means possible,

thanks to your generosity in giving them the financial means.

Work harder, longer, so your government can show it's love for you.

Perhaps a knock at your door some day.

What government love awaits you?
--
"But the world is full of annoyances; if we killed all of our annoyances, there would be nobody left" - John McAfee

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Krisnatharok

Considering non security related threads keep coming across the security forums, I thought I might join in with this new tradition.

»mashable.com/2013/01/03/samsung-tizen/
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

All discussions of Security and Privacy are welcome here.

Patent trolling affects both security and privacy. Just ask the victims of Prenda.

(The latest on that case, btw--apologies if it doesn't live up to your strict standards of "Security and Privacy".)
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Krisnatharok

Money attracts people. Once asked why he robbed banks, Willie "The Actor" Sutton said "(I) Go where the money is...and go there often." The mere threat of patent or copyright litigation can produce a prolific amount of money in our society. By finding ways of threatening lawsuits against small businesses and individuals, the perpetrators harvest multiple collections of smaller amounts of money that collectively add up to large amounts of money - all without much threat of meaningful legal counter-actions. Add in a minimal "legal" argument for the threats, and it's a "winning" idea much of the time. Is it any wonder that some folks create shell corporations simply to exploit it?

It's up to legislators, regulators, and judges to insist that the legal and regulatory systems be adjusted to prevent their predatory exploitation in this manner... and its up to the citizenry to vocally and repeatedly insist that they do, up to and including voting them out if they won't. In the meantime, people need to fight this in court every time it arises, building case-law precedents as they go. In the end, one will never completely stamp out such kinds of extortion... the perps will merely find some other means of going after money. But in life, you have to plug each and every hole in the dike as you find them...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

said by StuartMW:

said by voxframe:

These assholes need to be dragged out into the street and have the living shit beaten out of them.

Actually a lot of the world's problems could be fixed this way.

Darn right they could.
Would fix all this white collar crime in seconds.
Would fix cheating politicians once and for all.
Would fix scammers, and fraudsters.
Would fix corrupt companies and/or their heads.

Unacceptable my ass. Society's inability and laziness to deal with this stuff is what's unacceptable.

Damn sometimes I wish people would grab pitchforks and torches and just burn the place down. Might accomplish something for once.

Start with the lawyers and "investors". They are the root of this evil.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

GroovyPhoenx

join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

Wow, I'm gonna invent a new patent whereas the motion between the hammer and nail involving human interaction will allow the hammer to contact the nail and be driven into an object, the motion will be called "the swing" and will allow it to drive in the nail! Then I'll hire "The legal department" and they can hunt down all the home carpenters and others to collect moneys to license "the swing." anyone who uses a hammer will be required to pay me 5 cents royalty fee (I'm no greedy!) per swing in order to be able to use their hammers legally!

OZO
Premium

Yep. Just pay money to USPTO and they will be happy to register it for you. They don't care if it was used for thousand of years (you will have to hire your own layers to sue everyone around). USPTO needs your money now. Moreover, they will be happy to assist you in getting that patent, because the more other people get sued over patents like this, the better business will be for USPTO... Everyone will rush to them and buy their own patent and that's what they need.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Yup. Basically it comes down to how much money you have to pay your lawyers.

My last professional job was with a large company although I worked at a small division.

The company got into patent infringement litigation with a competitor. The lawyers were being paid the equivalent of a Ferrari per month. My joke was that they'd filled the ashtray in the last one and therefore needed a new one.

I took a brief look at the technical claims of both sides and of course it was splitting hairs. But then lawyers do that a lot.
--

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

I'm almost tempted to submit a patent for any display of text, numbers or data where a contrast exists between the text, data or numbers and the media they are expressed on.

If the patent office approved 5 of the type of patents the OP referenced, why not give me a patent for written expression of any sort on any media.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by pandora:

I'm almost tempted to submit a patent for any display of text, numbers or data where a contrast exists between the text, data or numbers and the media they are expressed on.

If the patent office approved 5 of the type of patents the OP referenced, why not give me a patent for written expression of any sort on any media.

Google would send a bunch of guys with torches and pitchforks and kick your ass as an example.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by AVD:

Google would send a bunch of guys with torches and pitchforks and kick your ass as an example.

Honestly, if I were to attempt such stupidity, and if our patent office is stupid enough to give it. I'd give the patent rights to an open source patent holder, to use when any lawyer used any contrasted text on any media to write a letter regarding some fool patent.

Dear Lawyer,

Did you know we hold the patent to writing where any contrast exists between text, numbers or data on any media. Your letter regarding patent infringement, infringes on our patent. Please cease and desist from all written expression, or we will be forced to charge you $110,000 per contrasted pixel you or your office use from this date forward.

Note any written response indicates a willful violation of our patent, as does any attempt to challenge the patent which is submitted in violation of our patent.

Could be an interesting afternoon for some lawyer.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

not

@comcast.net
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by voxframe:

It's no different from fraud in the end.

I'm not so sure about that. They're probably operating within a legal framework. They've got a patent, so they're entitled to defend that patent (though I'm uncertain about the copier vendor/end user part of it).

Once again, if the rules of the game reward aberrant behaviour, it's fruitless to complain about people who exhibit aberrant behaviour that complies with the rules. It's the rules that are wrong - in this case the system that allows such patents.

It's not the rules that are wrong, it's the aberrant behavior that's wrong. Cops bend the law all the time and get away with it because cops look after their own. This is the same thing. People have lost all principals of ethics and that's the truth.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

'The rules of the game' are what permitted the USPTO to award a patent in 2011 for the 'invention' of scanning a document on one system and having it automatically end up on another system.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by dave:

'The rules of the game' are what permitted the USPTO to award a patent in 2011 for the 'invention' of scanning a document on one system and having it automatically end up on another system.

and the rules allow a challenge.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Krisnatharok

If I'm reading this right, a bunch of lawyers are behind these "shell companies" and after a quick (easy) buck.

Sometimes the old ways are the best ways

Kill the Lawyers!
- Shakespeare

Regards

OZO
Premium

It doesn't work this way now - different times, different rules... If you understood the new rules you'd know what to do.

Those laws (that make money, as you've noticed, mainly for lawyers) were created by other lawyers. By making the new laws they (lawyers) first of all take care about their own business, not yours. BTW, that's why they will never have unemployment rate similar to what the rest of the country has. Now, why people elect in Congress those lawyers who make the laws to benefit other lawyers? If people don't stop that vicious spiral, the country will end up with lawyers and those who serve them (making their job even more important). The rest will be outsourced to other countries.

Ask your representative why s/he votes for patent laws, that benefit mainly the layers? And ask to remove those laws. That will help to reduce the growing population of the lawyers better then old way of killing them
--