All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sofakng3
join:2007-08-25
Kingston, PA

sofakng3 to burris

to burris

Re: [General] Recommendation for VOIP service?

I haven't concerned VOIPo, but I will take a look. Thanks!

If I use Google Voice, I'll use one of they other providers (that support E911) as a backup. Supposedly it's really easy with the OBi devices to just enter a backup SIP provider and checkmark "E911" support and it will automatically route calls through that provider for 911.

The other alternative I suppose is to return my OBi202 and buy an OBi110 which supports on PTSN line. I've heard that even with a canceled PTSN line, landline providers MUST support 911 calls so it sounds like I could possibly use that as a "free" 911 backup?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by sofakng3:

I've heard that even with a canceled PTSN line, landline providers MUST support 911 calls so it sounds like I could possibly use that as a "free" 911 backup?

Not true in Michigan, when I canceled my POTS line it went dead, no dial tone and completely unresponsive to any dialing input (including 911). Some voltage was kept on the line, that's all.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to sofakng3

Premium Member

to sofakng3
said by sofakng3:

I've heard that even with a canceled PTSN line, landline providers MUST support 911 calls so it sounds like I could possibly use that as a "free" 911 backup?

Absolutely do NOT depend on that.

Politicians in some states have put through such regulations because they sound good (note to casual readers, we are talking here about PSTN 911, not cellular 911 which is a separate issue).

But you CANNOT depend on it.

PSTN companies have enough trouble keeping track of the lines that ARE working, they CANNOT keep track of lines that are DEAD.

-------------------------------

You can do 911 from CallCentric for a total of 1.50 a month.

1) Order the [Pay Per Call] outbound plan. If you make NO calls then there is NO fee, not even a setup fee.

2) Do NOT order an inbound plan.

3) The system will then have you sign up for 911, at 1.50 initial setup and 1.50 a month.