Derspankster
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Marion, OH

Derspankster

Premium Member

New Year Desktops

Click for full size
And, why not? Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. My same old box, etc.

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50

Click for full size
Ubuntu 12.10 Same ole stuff, I did upgrade to an SSD on the operating system. Boots to desktop in under 25 seconds.

freerock
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04
Jersey City, NJ

1 recommendation

freerock to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
E17
Slackware 14.0/Enlightenment 0.17

jrushing
smart, sober, hostile
join:2000-12-14
Anoka, MN
·Comcast XFINITY

jrushing to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Click for full size
still Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit on a Thinkpad
i no longer hate Unity

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50

I've been using unity for a while now and I cannot ever come up with a reason to go back to windows.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

1 recommendation

timcuth to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Siduction Linux 64-bit, LXDE/Openbox

Tim

CulDeSac
join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ

CulDeSac to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Boring, boring, boring.

Kubuntu x64 12.10
rburch
join:2013-01-04

1 recommendation

rburch to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
darthanubis
join:2010-01-05
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Remember when the desktop thread would showcase the various apps people were running, and the various DEs, and various DE configurations?

Now it seems to have devolved (over the last 6 years) into an Ubuntu Wallpaper thread.

Most are even using the same theme/icons.

My Ubuntu screenshot would not add anything to this thread, since the box is only used as an XBMC machine.

Has the spirit of the Wallpaper thread changed? I ask those who have been here 10+ years?

Just wondering.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings

Speaking only for myself, I don't post because I don't have anything new. I'm using the same DE, wallpaper and apps. Not much value in reposting other than the output of uname -a.

Derspankster
Premium Member
Marion, OH

1 recommendation

Derspankster to darthanubis

Premium Member

to darthanubis
said by darthanubis:

Remember when the desktop thread would showcase the various apps people were running, and the various DEs, and various DE configurations?

Now it seems to have devolved (over the last 6 years) into an Ubuntu Wallpaper thread.

Most are even using the same theme/icons.

My Ubuntu screenshot would not add anything to this thread, since the box is only used as an XBMC machine.

Has the spirit of the Wallpaper thread changed? I ask those who have been here 10+ years?

Just wondering.

You may be correct but I don't remember that time you recall. I'm coming up on my 10th year of membership here so perhaps the monthly thread had devolved by the time I became aware of it. Regardless, I do get a kick out of looking at various desktops, distro configs AND wallpapers.
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis

I've been here as long as you "Spanky" despite the date on my userid. I was going to try to search for those old threads, but just now remember the site crashed a lost the older stuff. But even when Conky came out, the desktop thread was a chance for us to have a discussion about various programs and setups. Maybe, I just remember it differently?

Anywho, I knew you'd take my query in the right spirit Spanky.

Peace.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

2 recommendations

No_Strings

Naw, they're all there.

Some blasts from the past:

»Desktops Desktops and more Desktops! (SURVEY) (Might be the original)
»April Desktops
»December Desktops .... (features some darth guy)
»February Desktops!
»July Desktops (some anubis character)
»May Desktops

Wonder what happened to fritzmp and some of the other former ATU regulars?

Derspankster
Premium Member
Marion, OH

Premium Member

to darthanubis
Yes, good to see you in here once again. I was still a corporate slave, Windows user back in 2001,2, etc. I think I attempted to install some early form of linux in the late 90's from some floppies.

Found an old box in 2006 and loaded Dapper Drake on it and was, I guess, hooked.
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis

2006- Yup sounds about right. I remember you because one of our machines was identical. I like to think I pushed you to 64bit full time as well:-P
darthanubis

darthanubis to No_Strings

to No_Strings
LOL! Sweet thanks! I knew I was not tripping.

Thanks also for the 10 year flash back.

Xmms
Gentoo
KDE3 w/monopoly

Good memories.

Derspankster
Premium Member
Marion, OH

Premium Member

to darthanubis
Yeah, I think you did push me to 64 bit. I see one of our machines are still nearly identical hardware wise. The only change I've made recently has been going to a SSD boot drive.
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

darthanubis

Same here, an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. SSD drive has been solid for 3 years.

Derspankster
Premium Member
Marion, OH

Derspankster

Premium Member

said by darthanubis:

Same here, an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB. SSD drive has been solid for 3 years.

Plextor 128 GB here.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Lake Placid Olympic Rink
Kubuntu, 12.04.

O.

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Click for full size
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE
My Sony Vaio laptop running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE with Fluxbox, Xfe, Eterm, GKrellM, and XMMS.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
My Toshiba Satellite laptop Running Debian Squeeze x64 KDE

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

1 edit

1 recommendation

Trihexagonal5 to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Naw, they're all there.

Some blasts from the past:

»December Desktops .... (features some darth guy)

Wonder what happened to fritzmp and some of the other former ATU regulars?

Boy, that brings back memories... That's my screenshot from 2002 under my original ID of Spamzilla at the bottom of the first page of the December thread you posted. I was using Mandriva (?) and KDE at the time and had GKrellM in the upper left hand corner of the screen, with no toolbar showing and a transparent terminal and GKrellM skin like I still use today with FreeBSD. I still have that wallpaper and an updated version of it too.

I tried to log back in with that ID when I came back to the site a few months ago but the account was inactive. I saw an old notebook where I had written down the password to it a while back but can't find it now.

Thanks for posting it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to darthanubis

Premium Member

to darthanubis
said by darthanubis:

I never post because mine is the same year after year. Isn't that what an LTS distro is all about?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia

Premium Member

I use Debian stable version. It's essentially an LTS distro. I pretty much keep my setup the same(add utilities occasionally as they mature and tweak a bit), but freshen the look of my themes here and there. Kind of like changing a room around in Spring to freshen its appearance. Some people look at Debian as this old fashioned, stodgy, unfriendly distro because the Ubuntites tend to say so on their site and IRC to promote their distro. I think my screenshots are valuable as when I freshen my themes, someone might see the distro I run from a different angle.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
MmmmmMmmmm this sho is good
I couldn't resist making this shot a wallpaper. . By time I posted the shot, it was 15 out .

FWIW, Kubuntu 12.04.

O.
darthanubis
Chesterfield, VA

1 recommendation

darthanubis to Selenia

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Some people look at Debian as this old fashioned, stodgy, unfriendly distro because the Ubuntites tend to say so on their site and IRC to promote their distro.

Utter rubbish on both counts. Debian is proud to not be bleeding edge, hence it's legendary stability. Ubuntu users are not responsible for Debian's reputation as lagging in newer applications ,as this has been Debian's model longer than Ubuntu has been around.

But you knew that.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I am just stating views I heard from Ubuntu users reluctant to switch to Debian. My view is that if you've used the terminal somewhat in Ubuntu, tried a bit of customization, and have dealt largely with open software, one should feel relatively at home. But still, I have met some Ubuntu users afraid to jump into Debian. I would be more afraid to jump back to Ubuntu due to some stability issues I had with some of their packages and how awkward certain things are to compile. Things that just work on Debian's solid base and with their stable packages that go through endless testing.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

1 recommendation

timcuth

Premium Member

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. No trouble at all. Debian has plenty of GUI environments and applications available.

Tim

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by timcuth:

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. No trouble at all. Debian has plenty of GUI environments and applications available.

Tim

My point proven In my case, I used Debian when it wasn't so easy for a server school project in the 90s. Was interesting, but not a pleasure. I then put Ubuntu through some extensive testing later, but ended up playing with Debian and other distros again, and this time got hooked(the difference between then and now is night and day). My view is Ubuntu lost some stability after Dapper and got even more bloated. Sure, some are worse, but there is much better(like Debian).