Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

Trihexagonal5 to Derspankster

to Derspankster

Re: New Year Desktops

Click for full size
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE
My Sony Vaio laptop running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE with Fluxbox, Xfe, Eterm, GKrellM, and XMMS.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
My Toshiba Satellite laptop Running Debian Squeeze x64 KDE

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

1 edit

1 recommendation

Trihexagonal5 to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Naw, they're all there.

Some blasts from the past:

»December Desktops .... (features some darth guy)

Wonder what happened to fritzmp and some of the other former ATU regulars?

Boy, that brings back memories... That's my screenshot from 2002 under my original ID of Spamzilla at the bottom of the first page of the December thread you posted. I was using Mandriva (?) and KDE at the time and had GKrellM in the upper left hand corner of the screen, with no toolbar showing and a transparent terminal and GKrellM skin like I still use today with FreeBSD. I still have that wallpaper and an updated version of it too.

I tried to log back in with that ID when I came back to the site a few months ago but the account was inactive. I saw an old notebook where I had written down the password to it a while back but can't find it now.

Thanks for posting it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to darthanubis

Premium Member

to darthanubis
said by darthanubis:

Has the spirit of the Wallpaper thread changed? I ask those who have been here 10+ years?

I never post because mine is the same year after year. Isn't that what an LTS distro is all about?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia

Premium Member

I use Debian stable version. It's essentially an LTS distro. I pretty much keep my setup the same(add utilities occasionally as they mature and tweak a bit), but freshen the look of my themes here and there. Kind of like changing a room around in Spring to freshen its appearance. Some people look at Debian as this old fashioned, stodgy, unfriendly distro because the Ubuntites tend to say so on their site and IRC to promote their distro. I think my screenshots are valuable as when I freshen my themes, someone might see the distro I run from a different angle.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium Member
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT

orion940 to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
MmmmmMmmmm this sho is good
I couldn't resist making this shot a wallpaper. . By time I posted the shot, it was 15 out .

FWIW, Kubuntu 12.04.

O.
darthanubis
join:2010-01-05
Chesterfield, VA

1 recommendation

darthanubis to Selenia

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

Some people look at Debian as this old fashioned, stodgy, unfriendly distro because the Ubuntites tend to say so on their site and IRC to promote their distro.

Utter rubbish on both counts. Debian is proud to not be bleeding edge, hence it's legendary stability. Ubuntu users are not responsible for Debian's reputation as lagging in newer applications ,as this has been Debian's model longer than Ubuntu has been around.

But you knew that.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I am just stating views I heard from Ubuntu users reluctant to switch to Debian. My view is that if you've used the terminal somewhat in Ubuntu, tried a bit of customization, and have dealt largely with open software, one should feel relatively at home. But still, I have met some Ubuntu users afraid to jump into Debian. I would be more afraid to jump back to Ubuntu due to some stability issues I had with some of their packages and how awkward certain things are to compile. Things that just work on Debian's solid base and with their stable packages that go through endless testing.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

1 recommendation

timcuth

Premium Member

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. No trouble at all. Debian has plenty of GUI environments and applications available.

Tim

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by timcuth:

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian. No trouble at all. Debian has plenty of GUI environments and applications available.

Tim

My point proven In my case, I used Debian when it wasn't so easy for a server school project in the 90s. Was interesting, but not a pleasure. I then put Ubuntu through some extensive testing later, but ended up playing with Debian and other distros again, and this time got hooked(the difference between then and now is night and day). My view is Ubuntu lost some stability after Dapper and got even more bloated. Sure, some are worse, but there is much better(like Debian).

spacce
join:2001-10-20
Mobile, AL

spacce to Derspankster

to Derspankster
Click for full size
January 2013
Wow, one of those older threads, had a screenshot from mine..
I don't think i have posted since then, so it's been 10+ years it seems..

here's a my current one
Not much to look at though
it's Mint 14 , Cinnamon

aa2k
join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

aa2k

spacce,
Hi, just love your wallpaper, very clean... do you mind sharing?

spacce
join:2001-10-20
Mobile, AL

spacce

Click for full size
sure
I got it here...

»www.noobslab.com/2012/08 ··· ion.html

but uploaded it here

aa2k
join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

aa2k

said by spacce:

sure
I got it here...

»www.noobslab.com/2012/08 ··· ion.html

but uploaded it here

Awesome!! thanks!!
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by darthanubis:

Has the spirit of the Wallpaper thread changed? I ask those who have been here 10+ years?

I never post because mine is the same year after year. Isn't that what an LTS distro is all about?

Wait, you haven't been here ten years yet ... not until Sep 22nd.

Cheers,
-pablo

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Desktop
Click for full size
Netbook
My desktop and netbook are now both on Fedora 18, and I've switched back to KDE again.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Ehhh...Not sure I like the new KDE look...and I was going to go through the trouble of compiling it for Debian as an alternate desktop. I'll stick with older 4.x there. Anyways, thank you for sharing. These posts are always useful for figuring out what one might want to try in the future. Meh, still thinking as I post, I still might to see all the new features. KDE has always been very customizable and skinnable. One thing that has made me favor it for so long, since 3.x was new.
pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23

pablo

MVM

said by Selenia:

Ehhh...Not sure I like the new KDE look..

Hi Selenia See Profile,

When I start fresh with KDE, I always use my ~/.kde4 and ~/.kde directory trees. This way the latest KDE anything looks the way I like it.

Cheers,
-pablo

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 edit

1 recommendation

rexbinary to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Selenia:

Ehhh...Not sure I like the new KDE look...

Is this better? :P

EDIT: Added an 'action' shot.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Yeah, looks more like my KDE 4.4.5 in Debian, which I love. Maybe that huge icon config on a low res netbook screen threw me a bit

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
Plano, TX

rexbinary

Premium Member

Yeah the Plasma Netbook desktop I am still trying out. It seems to focus on launching apps quickly and running them in full screen which great for a small screen Netbook.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to Derspankster

Premium Member

to Derspankster
Click for full size
Nadia DE desktop
Click for full size
XP on VirtualBox desktop
Army Wallpaper Based on Mint Nadia. One is my mandatory XP screen, the other is my normal desktop. Nothing spectacular, but it works for me on both counts.