TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

hmm

not sure about others but when I download a movie and like it I buy it when the price is right. %90 of my BR's I got after downloading the movie first and liking it. If they think I'm spending $20 bucks or more to take a look at a movie that I may not like they're out of their damn minds.

I'll just do without and not risk paying for something I won't like.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
That statistic doesn't tell us enough. All that says is you downloaded and viewed X movies and of the Y you liked, you purchased .9Y. There's no relation between X and Y and that's what interests Hollywood. Whether you like it or not, they want you to pay for X views.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
well in their great wisdom they think if I can't download a movie I'll buy it hmm no I'll just skip the movie.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to TOPDAWG
And if you didn't like... you didn't buy it. That doesn't make movies any cheaper to produce, nor does it justify piracy.

A quick google search can tell you every detail of every movie ever released or to be released. Pirating a movie to see if you like it is just lazy.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to TOPDAWG
All you get is a trailer. That's the way it worked before technology allowed acquisition before payment.

They expect us to pay for viewing a movie and if we like it, we can buy it. If we didn't like it enough to later buy it, well, that's just like going to a restaurant and getting an edible but not great meal.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by rradina:

All you get is a trailer. That's the way it worked before technology allowed acquisition before payment.

..and I know of a handful of movies that the trailer doesn't even come close to.

So, is that false advertising when the movie actually sucks?

Rajmarie

@ustdata.net
reply to TOPDAWG
Why dont you rent the movie rather then DL it using piracy. Renting is what I do...& its like a dollar a night (redbox). If I like it...then I do the same as you do...buy it on BR.

This way you stay on the good side of the LAW & nobody can tell you anything...plus...you help in a way of keeping the industry going along.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
I'm on the good side of the law as I'm in Canada and I don't upload nothing. also no place to rent even if you wanted too. Hollywood will live and break records while actors will get millions to play pretend.

I can live guilt free.

mrherzog

join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB
Yup yup!! I agree! If it was easier for us canucks to rent/buy digital (FOR A FAIR PRICE!!) downloading wouldn't be such a lure.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to Simba7
Does the trailer offer anything that can be interpreted as a guarantee of performance suitability? Performance is subjective to each customer and it would be impossible to prove the trailer was misleading when trailers are often deliberately thin to protect the nature of the performance. I suppose you could ask the theater or studio for a refund. Good luck with that.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to mrherzog
Do Dish and DirecTV offer service in Canada? If so, they offer pay-per-view. It's not USD $1 like RedBox (more like USD $4.99 or $5.99) but it's an option. Cable in the US also has similar PPV or if you are on a modern system, On-Demand rentals. Same price but you can start the movie at any time, pause and rewind.

At one time or another, I have subscribed to both satellite companies and my local cable company. If I started a rental and it turned into a turkey within the first 30 minutes, I have called all three companies and they have given me credit for the movie. I believe I've even had On-Demand automatically delete the rental and not charge me if I start viewing and within a few minutes stop and never finish the movie.

Libraries in the US also allow have DVD selections and members can check them out for free. Are there similar libraries in Canada?

Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON
reply to silbaco
If a tree falls in the forest and no ones around to see it, did it fall?

If a movie is released and no one watches it, was the movie ever made?

Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON
reply to rradina
No they don't offer service in Canada and no I'm not paying $5-$6 for a shitty movie... if they charged $2 or $1 for the movie and it didn't count towards my cap on my bandwidth then I might be inclined to "rent" it.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TOPDAWG
well I can just make up reason why I pirate but the truth is I don't give a crap. I like a movie I'll buy it I don't oh well they lost nothing. I won't spend anything for one movie unless I really want it.

Hollywood makes good money off me I'm near 200 BR's now and in the last month and this mouth I'll go to the movies 4 times.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to rradina
said by rradina:

I suppose you could ask the theater or studio for a refund. Good luck with that.

There's been a couple that came close. Good thing I didn't pay full price (Bargain Matinee) or I'd been pissed.