Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to usa2k

Re: [Awww] Who likes Keurig

I love mine. My wife had a coupon for 20% off at OfficeMax and picked me up two 18 count boxes of Green Mountain and they came out to $8 per box. That is $.44 per cup.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
I broke down and got one about a year ago - Mrs. Maven was complaining about brewing a pot and having it go to waste on the days I'd be out of the house early.

Being a bit of a coffee snob, I wasn't sure about it....
I've been fond of the stronger versions of Kauai Coffee for years (ever since sitting on their lanai on a beautiful Hawaii morning sipping freshly ground and brewed coffee while staring out over the Pacific ocean....). My favorite is Mundo Novo -
»store.kauaicoffee.com/ka ··· p11.aspx

So, I have 2 of the EkoBrew 'use your own coffee' cups, grind my own and it's great.
»www.amazon.com/Ekobrew-R ··· rig+cups
Have tried lots of different pre-packaged versions - and have settled on these as the favs:
Caribou Mahogany (a dark roast that isn't too dark)
San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser (I like these because of the minimalist use of plastic, and it's a heavy 'regular roast').
Mrs. Maven occasionally likes a flavored coffee (which I never go near - anathema!!) - so this way we can each chose our 'poison' for the day without waste.

And being the coffee nut that I am - I got one of these for my last birthday:

Push the button and in less than a minute you've got freshly ground espresso - and you can control the amount of water used to effectively brew an "American style" cup if that's what you want.
I use Starbuck's in-house Espresso Roast (the 5-lb. bags they use in store - they'll sell them to you, you just have to ask). Having tried lots of different brands (Ilia, etc. etc.) this is the most consistent and to me has the best taste.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
What is the make and model of the espresso maker? I have a simple Melita and am thinking about replacing it.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
Saeco Vienna Plus.

I think they've discontinued manufacture of it - but it's still available in various places, and is one of the most reasonably priced "automatic" units out there.

My friend has had one for 4 years - uses it to brew at least 5 "doubles" a day, and as long as you clean the internal mechanism (a simple pull out, wipe and rinse process of a single unit), it will last a long, long time - he's had no problems at all with it. (One caveat - we all use distilled water - which almost completely eliminates the 'scaling' problem - and it's available at like $1 per gallon at the local WalMart).
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!