spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thals1992

join:2012-08-07
Morrow, OH

My repost from local thread (Cincinnati tristate area WISP)

I just got a postcard sized advert in the mail advertizing their presence in our area (they are a new residential/small business WISP) and they are advertising 1.5 Mbps burst, 1.0 Mbps down, 256 Kbps up with their basic plan up to their custom install with the maximum capability up to 5 mbps. Its noted on their site that 5Mbps is not available at all sites, so....

Apparently they are owned by a tri-state Motorola distributor for the same region. They have listed on their commercial site info about the Motorola Wireless Broadband Point-to-Multipoint (PMP) hardware.

WARNING: Copy&Paste Info Ahead

Canopy access networks operate in the licensed, unlicensed and federal frequency bands, providing superior performance in a wide variety of spectrums, including 900 MHz, 2.4, 3.5, 3.6, 4.9, 5.1, 5.2, 5.4, 5.7 and 5.9 GHz

The Canopy PMP 450 Access Point [the unit they are probably using] (AP) can provide more than 90 Mbps throughput and will be interoperable with Canopy 430 series and 100 Series Subscriber Modules (SM) via a separately purchased downloadable license key.
[Bullet Points on PMP 450]
Dramatically increases overall system capacity
No wholesale change-out of SMs required to achieve benefits
Intelligently adapts as OFDM loading increases to maximize performance
OFDM MIMO data rates of up to 90 Mbps peak throughput
MIMO subscribers to maximize network capacity
Simultaneously talks to both FSK & OFDM SMs using Canopy MAC protocol (future)
Anyways this is their current hypothetical limit, while they are limiting the most paying with 5 Mbps at the moment. With that information the maximum amount of customers is at most ~18 customers per antenna.
Assuming they only have the basic users are only using 1 Mbps that means they can only have 90 users per PMP 450 on a single antenna at the most. Their picture shows a typical installation of three, so one could deduct those units are only unidirectional.

So, am I just being skeptical about their deployment (or is this the best deployment out there?) Or are am I looking at incompatible products?

tl;dr(To Long, Didn't Read)
Will my speeds be guaranteed with that package? (I am in a rural area of Cincinnati that they cover.)

Sites:
»www.heavenwire.net/
»www.mobilcomm.com/

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by thals1992:

Will my speeds be guaranteed with that package?

The short answer is NO. Most WISPs will not provide a CIR/DIR on residential subscriptions.

Most likely their business model requires that they over-subscribe the APs and rely on statistical averages that assume that not each subscriber is max'ing out their speed cap.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to thals1992

Where do you get that they use Canopy 450? Their "up to 3 mbps" in their FAQ suggests they may use 900 MHz gear which cannot sustain 3 mbps to each and every sub simultaneously with the number of subs per AP that would be required for a decent ROI. I'm pretty sure that is why they state 1 mbps.

My guess is they use a mix of different frequencies. 900 can do about 1.5 or 3, depending on whether it does 1X or 2X and depending on how they carve up the up/down. I have 5.7 GHz and it can do 5 mbps at 1X and 10 mbps at 2X.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

thals1992

Morrow, OH

I was more shooting in the air trying to find if this is a typical installation. I was going through their list of products that they sell and was trying to trying to see how they set it up on their end (If they went with the fastest/best option), but i didn't dare to try and call them expecting that the sales rep knows what the heck they put in the sky in their somewhat long list of areas that the cover.

I have hughes now, wondering (more like knowing) that it would be a better option ( if its worth the $300 termination fee, I'm only 6 months in) We have the power 250 pre-gen4. 2mb down (more like 50kb down though)

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON

Since the technology deployed depends on availability of line-of-sight, their pre-sales staff usually need more than a basic understanding to properly pre-qualify leads. It doesn't cost anything to ask them about what they use in a given area. Ask if they do free site surveys. The tech they send out for the site survey would know more than the sales folk.
--

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to thals1992

Just about anything is better than Satellite.

Beyond that, what you have copied/pasted is pure conjecture. Nobody can offer an educated opinion based on your guessing.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to thals1992

said by thals1992:

I was more shooting in the air trying to find if this is a typical installation. I was going through their list of products that they sell and was trying to trying to see how they set it up on their end

There are so many other factors involved, you can't use product specifications to determine top speed. A WISP might have a 100 Mbps radio, but throttled speed to a 5 Mbps tier.

/added
And if you want a guaranteed committed speed, don't' be surprised if it costs you twenty times as much.

thals1992

Morrow, OH
reply to thals1992

They called back and noted that we would not have a good connection. I didn't get a chance to ask them anything, but they said they are putting in another tower near our home that would be a straight shot. Well, I'll be able to post a review about them in March.

3 more months of hughes....