uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

[Verizon] Calling the UK?

I have Verizon and I need to communicate with someone in England. I've never done this before on my cell phone and I was wondering a few things.
1. By the looks of their website it appears that to call the UK is $1.70 a minute unless you have some kind of international plan. Am I correct?
2. I'm guessing that if they call me it is like anyone else calling me in that I don't pay anything (other than normal time usage). Am I correct?
3. What about text messages? Are there additional costs involved in texting someone in the UK? If so where do I find how much that costs?

Thanks in advance to all you knowledgeable in international calling

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

Click for full size
Texts are a nearly quarter each way, is skype an option? If you are just texting you could give them a google voice number and then they would have a domestic number to text back and forth to.

Getting on the International long distance plan may be best depending on how much you are calling, at only 6c a minute to a landline, that is not too bad.

KevNYC
Premium
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA
reply to Sentinel

Do both of you have iPhone's? I've used a combo of iMessage and Skype to communicate with someone in the UK without having to pay anything.
--
University of Washington - Class of 2009. Go Huskies!

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
reply to Sentinel

If you need to strictly make call, I recommend using onesuite.com. Onesuite is basically calling card service. However they have Android/iOS app which you can make international VOIP calls (meaning you need wifi). If you don't wish to use the app, they have local number which you call and punch in your pin (like a calling card service) and then the international/domestic number. Another alternative is using Google Voice. Google voice doesn't have a "calling card" like service.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Sentinel

If you have an android phone you can automatically and seamlessly set google voice to be used for international calls (domestic will still use Verizon).

Rates are pretty cheap.

United Kingdom - Landline 2¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - Hutchison3G 10¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 10¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - Orange 10¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - Other 21¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - Tmobile 10¢
United Kingdom - Mobile - Vodafone 10¢
United Kingdom - NGN - 870 18¢
United Kingdom - NGN - Local 18¢
United Kingdom - NGN - National 24¢
United Kingdom - Other 17¢
United Kingdom - Personal 24¢

For text messaging you can use whatsapp or a similar data service. Each normal text will cost $0.25.

You won't pay anything for incoming except minutes.

If you don't have an android smartphone you can buy a pre-paid card.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to Sentinel

Viber if you have an Android. Text and calls.

Couple of others on Google Play.

join:2013-02-26
reply to Sentinel

Messaging, calling, etc has became such an easy thing now a days.. Various service providers are here with their best plans and so you need to choose it from among the best 1..

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Sentinel

Skype (especially if yopu have WiFi) and/or the App whatsapp for texting.

Raiders49

@myvzw.com
reply to Sentinel

Check out Localphone. I have used them for many years to make calls to overseas destinations using my cell. Prices are cheap and quality is good.