All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
thals1992
join:2012-08-07
Morrow, OH

thals1992 to LLigetfa

to LLigetfa

Re: My repost from local thread (Cincinnati tristate area WISP)

I was more shooting in the air trying to find if this is a typical installation. I was going through their list of products that they sell and was trying to trying to see how they set it up on their end (If they went with the fastest/best option), but i didn't dare to try and call them expecting that the sales rep knows what the heck they put in the sky in their somewhat long list of areas that the cover.

I have hughes now, wondering (more like knowing) that it would be a better option ( if its worth the $300 termination fee, I'm only 6 months in) We have the power 250 pre-gen4. 2mb down (more like 50kb down though)
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Since the technology deployed depends on availability of line-of-sight, their pre-sales staff usually need more than a basic understanding to properly pre-qualify leads. It doesn't cost anything to ask them about what they use in a given area. Ask if they do free site surveys. The tech they send out for the site survey would know more than the sales folk.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

1 edit

WHT to thals1992

to thals1992
said by thals1992:

I was more shooting in the air trying to find if this is a typical installation. I was going through their list of products that they sell and was trying to trying to see how they set it up on their end

There are so many other factors involved, you can't use product specifications to determine top speed. A WISP might have a 100 Mbps radio, but throttled speed to a 5 Mbps tier.

/added
And if you want a guaranteed committed speed, don't' be surprised if it costs you twenty times as much.