kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

reply to Voxxjin

Re: Router Questions

The wireless devices are separate from wired. Do you know why you can only connect 4 wireless devices? You should be able to connect a virtually unlimited number of devices to your LAN. You only need to get an Ethernet switch if you want to connect more then 4 wired devices.

As Bob4 See Profile posted be helpful to know the model of your router and what you mean by: "random devices that are unable to connect for periods of time."

When that happens are other devices able to access the Internet? If so it indicate the Internet is up and problem is local. Check the IP stats on one of the device when it is unable to access the Internet. If it is getting a 169.254.x.x IP address it means it tried to get an address from your router but could not. In that case all you need to do is increase the number of DHCP addresses the router is allowed to hand out.

/tom

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by tschmidt:

In that case all you need to do is increase the number of DHCP addresses the router is allowed to hand out.

That's my thinking, but we need to know what router he has.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

When that happens are other devices able to access the Internet? If so it indicate the Internet is up and problem is local. Check the IP stats on one of the device when it is unable to access the Internet. If it is getting a 169.254.x.x IP address it means it tried to get an address from your router but could not. In that case all you need to do is increase the number of DHCP addresses the router is allowed to hand out.

Usually yes, other devices will still be connected to the internet. The issue seem to happen most often on devices which enter and leave the house or on items that are turned off and on. When this issue has happened, the one 'fix' was to turn off the router and turn it back on. This seemed to get the machines that I needed connected at that time to connect (whether all machines would be able to connect, idk).

I will see if I can increase the number of addresses or what I can find in its settings when I get home. But you are saying that most routers can handle many wireless connections without needing anything, correct? I will try to see what a non-connecting device shows for the IP. usually the non-connecting machines just give a message that no internet is available or it cannot connect (even while other machines can).
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war