uniqs

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Re: [X1] X1, to get or not to get...cost?

i think that's a bug cuz i remember that happening to me with my RNG200N and even my X1 that I have now, I can't remember how I fixed it but try logging into stuff and clicking around, I remember there was a way I could enable it

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Do I need to attach any Ethernet cables to the RNG200N DVR's?
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

Do I need to attach any Ethernet cables to the RNG200N DVR's?

No

The firmware changes for cable cards should be downloaded at the same time you get the S26 Guide. You need the S26 Guide and some plant software may need to be updated before the DVR Manager will work over the internet. In at least one area the DVR Manager didn't work for a couple of weeks even after the S26 Guide was downloaded because the plant software hadn't been updated.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

OK now the more important question is "AnyPlay" and "AnyRoom DVR" yay or nay for the RNG200N ?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by Mike Wolf:

OK now the more important question is "AnyPlay" and "AnyRoom DVR" yay or nay for the RNG200N ?

That is a more difficult question to answer. Comcast uses the RNG200N model name in both SA/Cisco and Motorola STB areas.

In the Motorola STB areas, AnyRoom DVR functionality is already available.

In the SA/Cisco areas, AnyRoom DVR functionality is only available if that area has On-Screen Guide 2.0, which is currently only in 6 or 7 states. It requires the Cisco RNG 200N DVR.

The X1 Guide currently doesn't support AnyRoom DVR functionality, but Comcast has plans to support it in the future. The X1 Guide currently only works with the Pace X1 Gateway, but Comcast has plans to support the X1 Guide on the more modern Motorola and SA/Cisco STBs (RNG 200N) that can support the Tru2way functionality.

I don't know what software guide or STB is needed for AnyPlay.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by Russ6:

said by Mike Wolf:

That is a more difficult question to answer. Comcast uses the RNG200N model name in both SA/Cisco and Motorola STB areas.

In the SA/Cisco areas, AnyRoom DVR functionality is only available if that area has On-Screen Guide 2.0, which is currently only in 6 or 7 states. It requires the Cisco RNG 200N DVR.
:

Mike Wolf See Profile and I are in an SA/Cisco area here in NJ. We're supposed to get the S26 update next month. Don't know when we can expect to get OSG 2.0.

The AnyPlay service (»info.xfinity.com/Portal/ ··· dex.aspx), which is "currently not available in all areas," does not require the use of a particular STB or OSG software, but the use of an "AnyPlay device" as described/pictured in this article »www.multichannel.com/con ··· -comcast
EDIT: And also this one: »www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· i-router

Also see: »Comcast Rolling Out Anyplay
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by telcodad:

said by Russ6:

said by Mike Wolf:

:

Mike Wolf See Profile and I are in an SA/Cisco area here in NJ. We're supposed to get the S26 update next month. Don't know when we can expect to get OSG 2.0.

The AnyPlay service (»info.xfinity.com/Portal/ ··· dex.aspx), which is "currently not available in all areas," does not require the use of a particular STB or OSG software, but the use of an "AnyPlay device" as described/pictured in this article »www.multichannel.com/con ··· -comcast
EDIT: And also this one: »www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· i-router

Also see: »Comcast Rolling Out Anyplay

I don't think your area will get On-Screen Guide 2.0, instead it will go directly to the X1 Guide, see
»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Comcast changed its plans for Houston. It will go directly to the X1 Guide and skip On-Screen Guide 2.0, see »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Comcast is moving to use the "cloud" in place of an AnyRoom DVR, see »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Russ6:

I don't think your area will get On-Screen Guide 2.0, instead it will go directly to the X1 Guide, see
»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Yeah, I forgot about that (and it was my post)!
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Russ6

to Russ6
where are they getting the bandwidth for cloud dvr without SDV??

Will they use IP? if so will they count as part of the cap? Will cloud tv data load up the nodes??

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

From the articles I've seen about Comcast's "Cloud DVR" service (»www.lightreading.com/net ··· 40144700 and »www.lightreading.com/net ··· 40136612), it's supposed to work similar to the "DVR Plus" RS-DVR system that Cablevision offers (»optimum.custhelp.com/app ··· dvr-plus), which appears to use a VoD-like, Video QAM carrier-based method (and not IP) and can be viewed on many regular-model STBs in the subscriber's home.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
When you go into the Cisco or SA DVR diagnostic page and scroll to the HDD Info page it shows the hard drive capacity, model number, and serial number of both the internal hard drive and external eSATA hard drive. I've noticed this on both the SA8300HD and on the RNG200N except on the RNG200N the model number and serial number is blank. I've also noticed this feature on the TiVo »i24.tinypic.com/14azz89.jpg

I'm hoping we'll see this feature more closely integrated into the new guides and equipment.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

where are they getting the bandwidth for cloud dvr without SDV??

Will they use IP? if so will they count as part of the cap? Will cloud tv data load up the nodes??

Joe-
At least in my region, they're sitting on 15+ open QAM's right now - there's plenty of bandwidth.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
Comcast has existing bandwidth contracts with Level 3 and Akamai (dating back at least a decade - the two contracts date back to when I was still working for them in Silver Spring) - so I doubt bandwidth to the cloud is an issue.