All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to xsbell

to xsbell

Re: [CenturyTel] Is CenturyLink throttling YouTube?

said by xsbell:

The issue is with CenturyLink's cache servers, which are provided to them by Google.

If changing your DNS servers still lands you on their congested cache servers, just start adding them to your HOSTS file.

Can you expound on this a bit more? Do you have any suggested cache servers to add?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

2 edits

xsbell

said by Hazy Arc:

said by xsbell:

The issue is with CenturyLink's cache servers, which are provided to them by Google.

If changing your DNS servers still lands you on their congested cache servers, just start adding them to your HOSTS file.

Can you expound on this a bit more? Do you have any suggested cache servers to add?

I will never be able to land on a CenturyLink cache server, so I can't help you with hostnames, but if you use Wireshark, TCPdump, or even URLsnooper (easiest), you can find out where the videos are coming from. You can also do this with IDM and jdownloader. A lot of cache servers I've seen have the word "cache" somewhere in the hostname, but this isn't always the case.

Just download URLsnooper, open it up and change the protocol filter to 'Show All', then start sniffing. Once you hit a video that loads slow and/or buffers a lot, check where it's coming from and add the hostname to your HOSTS..

127.0.0.1     r4---sn-2gph0nj5o-tt1e.c.youtube.com   #//This is one of my ISPs cache servers

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

i have the same exact issue except its fine late at night allmost like youtube is suffering peak hours.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty

I have the same issue from around 1900-2200 local time.

No, it's not my setup - If it was my setup, then I would have buffering issues at every other time i'm on it. And Im on it a lot.

It has to be CTL throttling it at certain times to help "manage" their network. Just about any other time, i can stream 1080p from youtube without flaw/no buffering.

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

has anyone found a easy solution for this right now its 9pm and im lucky to get speeds over 1.5mbps on youtube, but my speeds on speedtest.net are normal

fixedmetubes
@centurytel.net

fixedmetubes to xsbell

Anon

to xsbell
said by xsbell:

said by Hazy Arc:

said by xsbell:

I will never be able to land on a CenturyLink cache server, so I can't help you with hostnames, but if you use Wireshark, TCPdump, or even URLsnooper (easiest), you can find out where the videos are coming from. You can also do this with IDM and jdownloader. A lot of cache servers I've seen have the word "cache" somewhere in the hostname, but this isn't always the case.

Just download URLsnooper, open it up and change the protocol filter to 'Show All', then start sniffing. Once you hit a video that loads slow and/or buffers a lot, check where it's coming from and add the hostname to your HOSTS..

127.0.0.1     r4---sn-2gph0nj5o-tt1e.c.youtube.com   #//This is one of my ISPs cache servers

Yep this solution does work and other people with similar issues that solved it.

»www.reddit.com/r/technol ··· ontext=1

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

what do mean by add the hostname to your hosts?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by codyyy :

what do mean by add the hostname to your hosts?

Hosts is a file (with no extension) located in your Windows\System32\Drivers\etc directory. Open notepad (with admin privileges), navigate to that directory, select All Files *.*, and open it.