share rss forum feed

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS

ID requirement to travel across the country

So... my son, who is a member of the CF, just realized today that he lost his ID while visiting us and he was booked for a plane flight on Saturday (5 Jan). In addition he has no driver licences, has nothing on him with a picture and _left_ his leave pass at his home.

Now, I know he will not be able to get on that plane (sucks to be him as he will not get a refund) but I am wondering what other public transport are available to him (short of Thumb transport).

Travel is inter-provincial (MB -> AB) only. Greyhound now requires valid photo ID.

Any thoughts?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Via rail? I don't recall them ever checking for any ID when I did Quebec-Ontario trips.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to mazhurg
He lost his CF ID? He will be in poo for that!

Train?

mekyle

join:2000-09-23
Beamsville, ON
reply to mazhurg
If he's CF why not call his unit and get a temp ID issued? Or get someone he knows to overnight some form of ID to him.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to mazhurg
A reserve unit nearby may be able to help as well. He has his tags? At least something?

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON
reply to mekyle
Already called the local MP shop in WG. They indicated that he needs to fill the proper replacement forms once back at his unit. Chicken and egg... But I just told him to do just that and will see what the response is. Tks for that.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to mazhurg
Does he have two pieces of government issued ID without photos? (i.e. Birth Certificate and Health Card?) It is possible to board a domestic flight without Photo ID.

All airlines in Canada follow the same ID rules for domestic flights. They can be found here:

»www.passengerprotect-protectiond···nts.html

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to ekster
None, you just need the ticket(s), a lot of time and money.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to mazhurg
said by mazhurg:

So... my son, who is a member of the CF, just realized today that he lost his ID while visiting us and he was booked for a plane flight on Saturday (5 Jan). In addition he has no driver licences, has nothing on him with a picture and _left_ his leave pass at his home.

Now, I know he will not be able to get on that plane (sucks to be him as he will not get a refund) but I am wondering what other public transport are available to him (short of Thumb transport).

Travel is inter-provincial (MB -> AB) only. Greyhound now requires valid photo ID.

Any thoughts?

I know there is an ID card in Manitoba (Similiar to Ontario ID card which is relatively new)....is it possible to fast-track something today and get it done within a couple of days???

mazhurg
Premium
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to mazhurg
Thanks all. Contacted his unit, resulting in a quick run to WG (delayed by the on-going idle-no more brouhaha on the highway).

We will have to go back tomorrow for the photo shoot, as some faxing needs to be done tonight.

It should all work out. Tks for the tip donoreo See Profile