dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Macstumble
join:2013-01-02

Macstumble

Century Link Sez I Need a New Router.....

I am served by Century Link and am paying for 12 mbs. Until a month ago the my Qwest/Actiontech M1000 was at least getting 6-7 mbs Download. Now it's at 2.5 - 3.5 DL speed and the contacts at Century Link say my router is not capable of 12 mbs and they say I need a new router. However I read where the M1000 was good up to 100 mbs....what's going on here? Is my router going bad? Thoughts??
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

You might get more/better help over here in the »CenturyLink forum. You can ask the mod here to move your post over if you want.

And Welcome to BBR, thanks for registering.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Macstumble

MVM

to Macstumble
Full-rate ADSL 2/2+ modem - supports data rates of up to
24 Mbps downstream and up to 1 Mbps upstream*

* Depends on the services offered by the Internet Service Provider.

»www.actiontec.com/produc ··· 3-1s.pdf

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Macstumble

MVM

to Macstumble
According to Actiontec, your modem is capable of achieving the 12mb download speed you are paying for.
»www.actiontec.com/produc ··· FT3ct1cc

If the problem actually is your modem, you can rent one from CL for about $5/month, or go to Best Buy and get an Actiontec C1000A in CenturyLink packaging for $99. If you go buy one, you can test and see if the problem goes away. If it does, keep the modem. If not, take the modem back and call for a tech to come do a line check.

First, though, I would log into the modem and see what your current sync speed is. You may be another victim of over-selling.
Macstumble

Macstumble to aguen

to aguen
Thanks, I'll take you up on that.....I thought I was already in the CL Forum....ah, these newbies!!
Macstumble

Macstumble to billaustin

to billaustin
I like your suggestion about buying one and testing it. Your last thought involves logging on to my existing M1000, however I do not know how to do that. Is that the same as doing the speed test? Thanks for your help!

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You connect to it with a web browser using the default address. Usually it is »192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the model. If the modem is in router mode, you can look at the LAN information and see what it is. If the modem is in bridge mode (using a separate router), then this won't work.

Also, if you get a new modem, you will need to call CL Support and get your PPPoE username and password (which are different from your Email username and password) to enter in the modem.
TechWhiz
join:2004-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

TechWhiz to Macstumble

to Macstumble
If you're unable to login to your existing modem, here are the questions to ask tech support on the phone:

What speed is my modem training at? (If it's lower than advertised, when you ask why, the answer should not be the modem, continue with the questions).

Are my SNR and Attenuation levels normal?

Are there many errors showing up on my modem (CRCs or FECs)?
Macstumble

Macstumble

Thanks for the tips....I'll try that tomorrow!
Macstumble

Macstumble to billaustin

to billaustin
Thanks Bill...tomorrow, I will get on it!