join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to yyzlhr

Re: [Express] Usage Tracker Odd Behaviour

Very interesting:

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT AN INCREASE TO ROGERS SERVICE RATES

Please note that the rates for certain cable television, home phone and internet access services and bundles are increasing on or after January 24, 2013. Customers affected by these rate increases have been notified of the specific details of what is increasing by way of bill message or letter.

Affected customers who wish to respond to the rate increase notice may call us at 1 888 ROGERS 1 (764-3771).

Residents of New Brunswick who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s). Any applicable early cancellation fee, device savings recovery fee or service deactivation fee will apply.

Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador and Québec who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s) without any early cancellation fee by sending us a notice to that effect no later than 30 days after the rate increase(s) take effect, as indicated in the rate increase notice.

Residents of Ontario who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s) without any early cancellation fee, device savings recovery fee or service deactivation fee, as applicable, by sending us a notice to that effect no later than 30 days after receiving the rate increase notice.

»www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal···idential

Sidenote: I don't think it's an across the board increase. I have 25/2 and I didn't receive a notice. Still don't trust Rogers though. I knew these upgraded tiers would come at a price.

Beermage

@rogers.com
All Internet packages in Ontario (except Ultimate) are going up $3 per month.

elitefx

London, ON
said by Beermage :

All Internet packages in Ontario (except Ultimate) are going up $3 per month.

Said by Yours Truly November 02 2012:

said by elitefx:

Yea, this is just a new spin on Rogers reverse billing that was declared illegal, so many years ago, when Rogers upgraded everyones TV package and we had to call in and cancel or higher fees would take effect without our consent.

You just know, come spring, that Rogers will slam us hard for all these so called new upgrades.

Laughable really, NOT.........

Can I call them or what. Nobody but nobody can predict Rogers thieving ways better than ole elitefx.....

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Residents of Ontario who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s) without any early cancellation fee, device savings recovery fee or service deactivation fee, as applicable, by sending us a notice to that effect no later than 30 days after receiving the rate increase notice.

Now THAT is interesting. Wonder if that is actually legit or just a typo.

Also, everyone knew price increases were coming, it's become a timeless tradition.

elitefx

London, ON
said by yyzlhr:

Also, everyone knew price increases were coming, it's become a timeless tradition.

Yea, but a $3 hike 9 months after a $2 hike. That's pure friggin' bullshit. That little escape clause Rogers is offering in Ontario is just to beat any reverse billing accusation that may pop up. Rogers, without YOUR permission, upgrades YOUR service then bills you for it. THE VERY DEFINITION OF ILLEGAL REVERSE BILLING.

IMHO It's illegal in Ontario to give somebody something they never asked for then demand payment for it.

F#cking Rogers eh?

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
I think the term you're looking for is negative billing. Reverse billing is used to describe charges for SMS/voice calls where the recipient pays for the charges.

Negative billing implies they added something without your permission, but you have the option to remove it to bring it down to the previous price point. This is not the case here. I don't think there's anything illegal for a business to raise prices and provide notice that they are doing so, and offering an option to leave.

elitefx

London, ON
said by yyzlhr:

I think the term you're looking for is negative billing...

Much appreciated. And IMHO you are correct. Rogers may not??? be breaking any laws, but as usual, they walk a very fine line in most people's judgement. 'nuff said by me.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by elitefx:

Now THAT is interesting. Wonder if that is actually legit or just a typo.

Probably dealt with too many CCTS complaints last year.. Each of those complaints costs Rogers money due to investigation, etc.

Probably easier to just let people out of the contracts than keep paying for thousands of investigations by the CCTS, because you just know that a ton of those complaints were about yearly increases, despite being on contract... And contracts usually state no rate increases for the duration of the contract.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP