spc
uniqs
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel to rradina

to rradina

Re: How are they going to "fix it"?

I seriously doubt it's #2. The satellite is the same platform that makes up ViaSat-1. Exede12 has had at least an 8 month jump on Hughesnet and there have been many users on Exede that are getting 18+Mbps down and 4Mbps up when doing speedtests.

Hughesnet tell you to use their speedtest servers and I've done that over the 3 months I've had the service and not once have I ever seen 15Mbps that is advertised for the PowerMax plan.

If it's not #1 then Hughesnet is secretly selling off most of the 130Gbps of bandwidth that the satellite has and is using it for nefarious purposes.

I'm really believing that Hughesnet rushed out HNG4 because they were really losing market share with Exede. Exede apparently spend a buttload of money with building new gateways and server farms and it paid off.

Hughesnet just decided to use the infrastructure they already had in place with their legacy satellites and now it's showing how damn stupid they were for doing it. If they are claiming that the HNG4 service will improve over the next year, then it's probably because they will start migrating HNG4 traffic to newly build gateways and server farms that can handle the bandwidth.

Heh213
join:2012-06-16

Heh213

said by TexasRebel:

If it's not #1 then Hughesnet is secretly selling off most of the 130Gbps of bandwidth that the satellite has and is using it for nefarious purposes.

What kind of nefarious purposes?

Just sounds like HughesNet as normal to me, I have low expectations.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

nefarious purposes as in possibly selling it off to FEMA where it can be used at those so-called non-existing FEMA camps that they have spread out all over the US.

before calling me a tinfoil hat wearer, go do some research on FEMA camps.. Jesse Ventura covered them in one of his Conspiracy Theory episodes..

Seeing that Hughesnet is partly owned by the government, I wouldn't put it past them.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e

Everyone knows that FEMA camps are only used to secretly detain Elvis, John Lennon, Tupac Shakur and Michael Jackson. Their internet bandwidth needs can't be that great.
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to TexasRebel

to TexasRebel
said by TexasRebel:

I'm really believing that Hughesnet rushed out HNG4 because they were really losing market share with Exede. Exede apparently spend a buttload of money with building new gateways and server farms and it paid off.

Well, 130 Gbps is the aggregate capacity of the entire satellite. You'd be competing with other users on beam 44 for the 2.2 Gbps of capacity in your beam -- which covers the Dallas metropolitan area.

As for the other hypothesis, HughestNet claims "All-new gateway architecture ... New distributed Network Management System ... New Web acceleration severs." Maybe the roll-out isn't complete yet.

Slide 11 of the investor presentation from October 8, 2012: »files.shareholder.com/do ··· inal.pdf