how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

woody1950

join:2007-01-19
Decatur, GA

[Servers] SSH connection puzzle

I routinely connect to a remote Mac computer using SSH and private keys. In the past, I was able to connect from several different machines with no problem. Now, I can connect to the target Mac from some machines but not from others.

For instance, I can connect from a Linux server and from my Android phone, but when I try to connect from either of 2 Windows machines, the connection times out without connecting. If I run nmap, the Mac port 22 shows open from the Linux server, but closed from the Windows machines. Anybody know what might cause this?

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
Do you have a firewall in front of the Mac that denies connections from Windows hosts? I know this might sound crazy, but this is exactly what I do on some of my SSH servers that are accessible from the Internet, but I actually block Linux hosts instead (Linux hosts are used most often for useless SSH brute force attacks and, since a Linux host never needs to SSH into these system, I have blocked this).

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to woody1950
You'll probably get more attention in the "All things Unix" forum.
--
db

woody1950

Decatur, GA
Thanks, I'll move my discussion to All Things Unix.

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH
Windows doesn't handle dns to well. You might want to see what the mac says when your trying to connect. IE log files

woody1950

Decatur, GA
It's not a DNS issue, because I can test to the actual IP address and I still can't connect. I have moved this discussion to the Unix forum, as suggested.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to woody1950
What's the MAC show in it's logfile (if any) and/or 'netstat' output when the windows machines connect,
versus the working PCs?

The fact it shows OPEN from Linux and CLOSED from Windows makes me rather suspicious.

Regards