uniqs

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

Best way to seal a picnic bench?

I got a Kreg pocket jig for xmas and plan on building something like this picnic table for my kids:

»ana-white.com/2012/10/bi ··· ic-table

I was originally going to use cedar and not seal it at all but I don't want it to get all rough and splintery over time. Is there any good "one step" solutions out there? I really don't want to stain and seal it but I don't want to leave it bare.

Any thoughts? I know they make stuff but looking for real world use feedback please.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

How about making it out of teak and oil it every year.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude to Dennis

to Dennis
I put together a "cedar" wood play set for the kids years back.
They liked it at first but 1 year in it started giving them splinters like crazy.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with staining and sealing but I have lots of experience with cedar splinters in little hands and knees.

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI
·T-Mobile

norton to Dennis

to Dennis
water based spar varnish is easy to use and you can put it on thick (with several coats). clean up is fast and easy - just need to rough up each coat before you lay on another.
Only better thing would be non water based spar varnish.
I have been using this on my grandfathers outdoor table i inherited years ago - it looks very nice -believe we have stripped it and redone it 2 times over 20+ years. it sits outside each year until weather turns (this week this winter).

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Dennis

MVM

to Dennis
Do you want to keep it close to it's natural color? Or do you want to protect it from graying? A sealer like Thompsons won't prevent graying over time since UV can still penetrate it, and needs to be reapplied yearly if not more. Oils are a little more natural, but aren't all that better. A stain with build in sealer, either semi-transparent with a UV blocker or a pigmented stain are your best options to keep it from graying, but then you don't get to keep the natural color. Then there is obviously paint.

I'd personally go for a stain with sealer built in.