spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kokkatc

join:2012-12-20

ATT Uverse - Interleave to Fastpath - How? Help?

Hello,

I recently switched from Cox HSI Cable Internet to ATT Uverse (24mb/down 3mb/up). The reason for this change is that my latency w/ Cox HSI was horrible, and the routing was equally horrible. I'm hoping w/ ATT Uverse, my routing and latency improves.

I have read about Interleaving mode vs. Fastpath mode, and how fastpath mode may yield 1/2 the latency to the first gateway when comparing to Interleaving. I'm a gamer, so latency is the #1 priority to me, and clearly, fastpath is the best.

My first question:

Does ATT Uverse Fiber Optic even utlize interleaving and fastpath modes as w/ DSL? If so, how do you change to fastpath mode for the purpose of improved latency?

I spoke w/ tier 2 tech support, and initially, they had no idea what I was talking about. When they researched the issue, they told me that this has to be changed at the 'd-slam,' and it affects everyone else connected to it, so they can't make the change. Keep in mind, the lady I was speaking with was brand new and not very tech savvy, especially for tier 2 tech support.

How exactly does one change ATT Uverse Internet (Fiber) to fastpath from interleaving? Is this done from tech support? Is this done by a technician at your home? I'm hoping to correct this issue ASAP, because once again, my primary concern is latency.

Your help will be much appreciated. Once again, I have a tech coming out tomorrow morning, so I hope he has some information for me as well.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

Uverse VDSL is interleaved - PERIOD.

Fibre is a completely different technology. (and rare in Uverse installs)

kokkatc

I'm a bit confused about what technology my Uverse Internet package is.

I'm unsure whether it's VDSL or Fibre Optic as it's not entirely clear. My speed is 24/3.

kokkatc

reply to cramer

From what I've researched, I'm thinking my Uverse package (24/3) is VDSL. If this is the case, it appears switching to fastpath is nearly impossible which will be a deal breaker for me if it's adding another 10-20ms at the first hop. My latency is bad enough w/ my cable provider...

I'm only using this line for gaming, I'll probably keep the Cox line so my GF can stream netflix/vudu without it interfering.

Would it be possible to switch to Fastpath if I downgraded my Uverse package... to say the 6/1 package or even the 12/1 package if it isn't utilizing DSL? Trying to think outside the box here to give me the best chance to land on fastpath. Any suggestions or INFO will be appreciated.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Uverse-VDSL is interleave only, there is no Fastpath signaling profile at all. That only will apply to ADSL served DSLAM connections, not VRAD's for Uverse.

Which one works better for you for what your doing now ? That's all you need to decide. Your GF stuff should work fine with either, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Just my 2c.

Tastic

@cox.net

Well, that is a complete bummer. If Uverse VDSL is interleave only, then that's not going to work well for me at all.

Are you aware if a different U-Verse package utilizes ADSL so I could switch to fastpath? Bandwidth isn't an issue for me so I don't mind dropping from 24/3 to 18, 12, or even 6/1 if it means I'm able to utilize fastpath instead.

I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so I wonder if he has the ability to change my package on the spot if I ask him. I despise the very thought of calling into ATT Tech support again... what a horrible experience, and they surely don't seem that qualified -- at least the two I spoke with.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Your area is either gonna be fed VDSL(interleave and VRAD fed) or ADSL2+(CO fed). It is one or the other, no picking. VRAD VDSL qualifies for all 3 packages (TV, internet, phone) where as ADSL2+ is only phone and internet. You cannot change between either. I had 6mbps fast path xDSL before I switched to VDSL and I did not see much latency added to my ISP. I went from 19-24ms to 21-25ms first hop but it varies from area to area. I play on LIVE and host COD2 and nobody really complains.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
reply to kokkatc

said by kokkatc:

I'm a bit confused about what technology my Uverse Internet package is.

I'm unsure whether it's VDSL or Fibre Optic as it's not entirely clear. My speed is 24/3.

U-Verse is fiber to the VRAD and then copper fed the last mile to your home. Some subdivisions like the one next to mine are fiber all the way to the house but they still only get what us last mile copper customers get. U-Verse ADSL2+ is fed from the CO (central office) through copper to your home.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to kokkatc

If this is so important, why people don't look into this before switching is beyond me.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kokkatc

Op if its just for gaming you are better off getting DSL. That is going to give you the most stable/lowest latency.

You can see some differences I saw on the lagometer on quakelive with DSL vs uverse vs cable:

»Re: Finally getting U-verse Will attempt to add DSL after its up
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Tastic

said by Tastic
I have a tech coming out tomorrow, so I wonder if he has the ability to change my package on the spot if I ask him. I despise the very thought of calling into ATT Tech support again... what a horrible experience, and they surely don't seem that qualified -- at least the two I spoke with.
[/BQUOTE :

This is not going to happen, sorry. Why is the tech coming out ? Be careful, you may incur a truck roll charge for this type of dispatch, your question is not a covered maintenance issue, so just be aware if that's what your trying to do.

I think your question has been answered it's full extent, so I'm not really sure what else can be done for you. As it's already been stated Uverse/VDSL does not utilize Fastpath.

FYI, have both Uverse & Comcast internet running here, been on XBL/PSN since the dinosaurs, sons game all the time on both, no probs w/ either.

giraffedata

join:2009-07-11
San Jose, CA
reply to Paralel

said by Paralel:

If this is so important, why people don't look into this before switching is beyond me.

Well, it's pretty hard to look into. You won't find this information on an AT&T web page. The Sales department doesn't know. Tech Support won't know what you're talking about. People in public forums will give you conflicting and untrustworthy information. A lot of time, all you can do is sign up and reverse engineer the product.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to kokkatc

Well, it's pretty hard to look into. You won't find this information on an AT&T web page.

It's even more confusing now that AT&T sells ADSL2+ as "U-verse". AT&T diluted their own trademark; "U-verse" is now meaningless.

I guess this way they can claim to be "expanding their U-verse network" without doing much actual deployment.

Ordering third-party DSL through a reseller like DSLExtreme might be the best way to ensure you don't get stuck onto VDSL.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.