how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

miamia0

join:2009-04-08
San Carlos, CA

2 edits

Internet only - switch from comcast? (SF Bay Area)

I live on the peninsula in the Bay Area and am interested in internet only. Am considering a switch from Comcast; actually I ditched comcast because the service center was disrespectful (understatement) and have no internet for now but could get back on. However, I've only ever had cable for internet (comcast for 6 yrs and TWC prior). I was on comcast's Performance then Blast; was upgraded to Blast but did not see a change dling at max 1.4 MB/s with frequent drops after my "upgrade."

I've read if you are getting internet only, then it's not worth the move; is this still true? How close to the advertised speed would I be getting? Uverse claims average of "8-10 MBPS and it will never go below 7 MBPS" for the 12 MBPS.

Also, why does Plus and Turbo need $99 installation fee while the cheaper plans do not?

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
There are so many variables to your question it's hard to guesstimate what might satisfy you for an answer, but ......

First thing is you really need to see what services your address actually qualifies for, this will determine what flavor of Uverse branded internet you will be getting. There are 3.

1. IPCO-IPdslam, connection via ADSL2+ from office. Used in turned up areas where VDSL uverse is not avail. Speeds vary from area to area depending on loop lengths for the copper circuits. You will know it's IPdslam on ordering page as TV service will not be avail on this type of connection. This is the lower grade connection at this time, but rumors floating around reg higher speeds coming down the pipe on ADSL2+. Only believe it if you see it.

2. VDSL- FTTN , Typical Uverse connection for services. VRAD centrally located in the field for digital service connections. 1 of 2 types, either single pair up to 32M or bonded pair 25M service (some areas have 32M bonded pair). Bonded pair requires an installation of a central unit, an INID outside w/ an AP inside for access to internet conneciton. Which one you get depends on system qualification for loop distance.

3. Uverse FTTH, Uverse Fiber to the house, only avail in some areas. Tiers for services remain the same as #2 reference above TMK.

Your question reg Plus & Turbo fee is AT&T policy for inside labor work for testing, verification, wire runs, etc. Self installs are avail only up to the 12M tier.

miamia0

San Carlos, CA
Likely in category 2 but which I don't know. From sonic's site, it says I'm 3000 from CO, if it matters (I don't know what I'm talking about =)).

Is Plus and Turbo better, other than speed, since they have to do work (all these tiers are available here)?

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Go to this >

»www.att.com/shop/u-verse.html#fb···AMF287C2

Check availability for your address and then verify what services show avail when you pic your bundle. This will tell you what you need to know.

miamia0

San Carlos, CA
Already know what is available; checked a long time ago -_-. I'm asking about actual results.

Canezoid
End of line

Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Results are all going to depend on setup. Stability probably favors the way of DSL, but I have both running here, 12M Uverse & cable modem/Comcast Performance, both run fine, although I favor the cable modem a tad bit more & I use that as our primary connection for internet. My wife has PT work from home, so I have both as a backup connection should the need arise.

Best thing I could suggest per your situation is just sign up for 12M on a self install 1st, maybe go ahead and wire a dedicated homerun of CAT5/e to where the modem will go and then upgrade from there if you so choose. Now my suggestion is per a single pair connection, if your on an INID then a tech would have to wire from that point inside anyway.