spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wTheOnew

join:2012-03-09

Extreme 50 Config File Name?

Anyone know the name of the Extreme 50 config file name? I've always received speedteirextreme2 for Blast, recently upgraded to 50 and am getting the same file. The techs I've been able to get in touch with don't know the file name either. Just curious is all.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

It varies, but usually it incorporates "widebandblast."

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to wTheOnew

Although I'm not certain because the config file naming convention for Comcast has been a bit of a gray area, the file may look like either one of these;

d11_m_ [******] _showcase_c01.cm

d11_m_ [******] _widebandblast_c01.cm

****denotes model model number.

I'm more inclined to say that it is the second one. I believe the first one is from a while ago.

The one that you posted is definitely Blast.

wTheOnew

Now I know what to look for.

I figured it was the Blast file. The tech wasn't sure since it has the word extreme in it.

Thanks

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

You could ask Steve in the direct forum if your set up correctly..
»Comcast Direct

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

50 is wideband blast
105 is widebandshowcase

wTheOnew

Already have a thread over in the direct forum. If he gets to it cool, if he doesn't he doesn't...

On a side note, does it bother anyone else that Blast has extreme in the name and Extreme has blast in the name?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by wTheOnew:

On a side note, does it bother anyone else that Blast has extreme in the name and Extreme has blast in the name?

Actually yes. To me it does. Welcome to the ever *CONVOLUTED* world of CC....

MisterP

join:2012-10-11
US

Is there a way to see the config file version on a Zoom 5341J? That's the one thing I dislike about the zoom is the logs/config screens in the firmware etc are woefully inadequate (But signal levels are more accurate)

wTheOnew

said by MisterP:

Is there a way to see the config file version on a Zoom 5341J? That's the one thing I dislike about the zoom is the logs/config screens in the firmware etc are woefully inadequate (But signal levels are more accurate)

Not really...

You can see it in the logs as long as it's been recent enough that it's still on the page. Located here: »192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp

MisterP

US

derp I'm log OCD. I clear the logs after a big modem event or reboot to see them better. Would a config file show up again on a factory reset or once a config file is in its pretty much burned into the firmware?

Another funny thing I notice is the T3 errors write over each other; I know I get at least one a day but I only see the latest entry; and they are cut off with an ellipsis. They look like this:

Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

I'm not sure about the Zoom, but with my Motorola SB6120, it only shows the config file name after a firmware update or a tier upgrade/downgrade. Once it gets flushed out of the log, it's gone until one of those events happens again.
--
KI6RIT

wTheOnew

reply to MisterP

I also hate the ellipsis. Zoom did a pretty crappy job on the info provided to the user. :/

Doing a hardware reset via a long hold on the button on the modem seems to make it get the config file every time. Doesn't seem to do it every time when you reset it from the web interface.

Upgraded to 50/10 on Monday and they still haven't figured it out. Supposedly they're going to address the issue today between, and I quote, "8 and 8". I'm starting to think I'm part of an elaborate Truman Show-esq reality show when it comes to Comcast's 'support'.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

said by wTheOnew:

I also hate the ellipsis. Zoom did a pretty crappy job on the info provided to the user. :/

Unlike Motorola which has been notorious for their modems being hypochondriacs with logging excessive info. making users have anxiety attacks.

Joe6pack

@comcast.net
reply to wTheOnew

said by wTheOnew:

You might be on to something!

I tried to upgrade to Extreme 50 but after several tech visits they were never able to get it working beyond 36 down/6 up. Maybe the speed failure was due to something as simple as the wrong config file being sent?

I gave up and downgraded back to Blast. I'll try re-ordering Exterme 50 in a year or so.

wTheOnew

3 edits

12 hour window to get the issue fixed today. Why am I not surprised it's still wrong?

Edit: After about a half hour on the phone I finally got to someone that knew what they were doing. Took them all of 5 minutes. Now why, Comcast, did it take nearly a week to do 5 minutes worth of work?

firehazemt
find em hot, leave em wet
Premium
join:2001-02-08
Monroe, LA

dont feel bad.....i started on performance and had the 10$ blast speed boost. come to find out for almost a year i didnt have the blast i was paying for. i decided to get the 50/10 and spent 2 hours on the phone with a rep that couldnt get the config file to stick to the widebandblast file... after 2 hours she said ill call you back...well come monday and no call back i called back and it took another rep i kid you not 5 min to make it work.... makes you wonder why some reps cant get anything done and some can with no issue what so ever

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to wTheOnew

because their support team is mostly full of derps
comcast steve could have probably fixed it for you

when i got the wrong config assigned to my modem, comcast steve fixed it in like 30 seconds.

johnfc

join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to JigglyWiggly

In the Maryland area widebandblast gets me 105/20 but it was 50/10 and then it doubled. I think this doubling occurred in certain markets.

johnfc

join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to MisterP

On my zoom 5341 I go into 198.168.100.1 then go to Status config file name is the top line of the listing.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by johnfc:

On my zoom 5341 I go into 198.168.100.1 then go to Status config file name is the top line of the listing.

Yeah, o/k. Try clearing the log entries and see if it returns.

wTheOnew

reply to johnfc

said by johnfc:

In the Maryland area widebandblast gets me 105/20 but it was 50/10 and then it doubled. I think this doubling occurred in certain markets.

Yep, the North East. Not here unfortunately. Yay competition.

said by JigglyWiggly:

because their support team is mostly full of derps
comcast steve could have probably fixed it for you

when i got the wrong config assigned to my modem, comcast steve fixed it in like 30 seconds.

I had this over in the direct forum, it was ignored.

said by johnfc:

The 5341 shows the file name, the newer 5341J does not.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

said by wTheOnew:

The 5341 shows the file name, the newer 5341J does not.

FWIW, in my 5341J it appears among the error log entries after doing a hard reset back to factory defaults using the recessed reset button on the rear.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Ditto!

MisterP

US
reply to EG

I did a software reset from the 192 page then a hardware reset. Both times I looked in the logs and saw nothing but the usual time not established yadda yadda. Power off button also does nothing. Zoom fix your darn firmware. I don't want ellipses on my already abridged logs, and I want to see my config info in more detail.

We aren't a bunch of XBoxers who need green cell bars to see that their ping is good rofl

Edit: And stop hiding the EventLog page; what are we, 12?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by MisterP:

I did a software reset from the 192 page then a hardware reset. Both times I looked in the logs and saw nothing but the usual time not established yadda yadda. Power off button also does nothing. Zoom fix your darn firmware. I don't want ellipses on my already abridged logs, and I want to see my config info in more detail.

We aren't a bunch of XBoxers who need green cell bars to see that their ping is good rofl

Edit: And stop hiding the EventLog page; what are we, 12?

For curiosity, what version number of firmware does it currently have ?

MisterP

US

Hardware Version A0
Software Version 5.5.4.9J

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Hmmm... That's the version I have and I can see the config file name among the error log entries every single time that I use the reset button.

MisterP

US

The only entry I see is this (Whether I do a hardware or software reset):

Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Are you holding in the recessed reset button on the rear long enough until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle ?