how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mark777

@teksavvy.com
reply to JonF

Re: Teksavvy = lip service, no action

I have maintained DSL sync throughout all of this, as I said earlier in this post "Despite asking repeatedly, Nobody at Teksavvy has explained to me how I can have full DSL sync, confirmed by their own tech support, but no internet."

I had to reboot to get internet back -- lost internet again wiithout losing DSL sync -- but that was a while ago , it might have been 15 minutes before your post but I think it was earlier than that.

It happens too often now to keep track. In fact, I've had to teach the children to cycle the router & modem.

noemails

@bell.ca
i was waiting for that r word to pop up...

you need to test this for a day or two sans router before this can really move forward much more..

helix9

join:2000-01-03
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

I had the most frustrating 2 or 3 months where the connection would just freeze up - no data passed either direction. The modem would never lose sync and the connection was effectively dead.

Finally went on the support forums for my computer and it turned out that the broadcom netextreme onboard network adapter would not reliably handle full duplex connections. I switched to 100mbit half duplex and never had a single occurrance since.

If you're using windows you could check your settings under Network Adapters using Device Manager.

Mark777

@teksavvy.com
Ran for over a year with no problems prior to this.
Have tried different modems and routers and the problem persists.

AGAIN Can ANYONE please explain how I can have full DSL sync, and Teksavvy support communicating with my modem and confirming the DSL sync, good line stats and modem operation, all the while with the DSL light on my 2 wire modem solid green but the internet light solid red (and obviously no internet) all throughout this testing?

Same results when plugged into the demark jack and with ALL different routers, modems, wires, and rest of the house disconnected.

I blame Teksavvy.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to Mark777
It might help to narrow down the problem if you do a little bit of testing next time it happens....

What happens if you try to ping your router directly? What about pinging a publicly routable IP address like Google DNS (8.8.8.8)? Does it fail on DNS resolve? If you do a ping -n 1000 (to send 1000 packets), do *some* packets get through? What about a traceroute?

Right now, it could be your connection from the PC to the router, it could be the router itself, and it could still be your modem (overheating, or a possible chipset conflict with the SLAM you're connected to)

Mark777

@teksavvy.com
Sincere thanks for the thoughts, but:
Router pings fine.
Can't ping public IP without internet.
Can't be connection from the PC to the router, or the router itself, or the modem (overheating, or a possible chipset conflict with the SLAM you're connected to), because I've changed every bit hardware and wire several times and the problem persists.

NissanPower

join:2001-03-31
London, ON
reply to Mark777
said by Mark777 :

AGAIN Can ANYONE please explain how I can have full DSL sync, and Teksavvy support communicating with my modem and confirming the DSL sync, good line stats and modem operation, all the while with the DSL light on my 2 wire modem solid green but the internet light solid red (and obviously no internet) all throughout this testing?

I can tell you that I had this *exact* same problem a few months back.
I believe the key point is the 2 log-ons that the system is seeing.

What I did to resolve this problem is
1) If you don't have MLPPP service, and your router is capable of MLPPP, be 100% sure that MLPPP is disabled!
2) make sure your modem is bridged (dumb modem) so not both your router and modem are attempting to log into TSI.

Mine had log on info in both for 7 years without an issue until this issue cropped up 3-4 months ago. I could not access the internet for more than a few minutes after rebooting the modem, until I made the above changes to the modem settings.
Everything has been 100% since then.

Good Luck!

Mark777

@teksavvy.com
Thank you for the thoughts, but I've tried changing modems, ensuring the modem is bridged, and it makes no difference. I do have MLPPP service and the router is set accordingly.

Andre is trying to claim that because I got 20 minutes of service (2 months ago) without a router that the router is the problem.

Jon told me on the phone that the problem appears to be time outs at the node.

THis is a Bell/Teksavvy problem and they won't do anything about it.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
Hi Mark,

What I am saying is that all of the signs point to the equipment you are using, and more recently possibly caused by the SLPPP service you had in conjuction with your equipment.

Jon did not agree or deny that it the Node is carrying the issue, he was just trying to get your stuff fixed.

You were basically asking him to put a ticket through and waive the DMC, which is why he came to me. I told him no until we can rule out the equipment which is what he is trying to help you out with.

At the end of the day, I have my fingers crossed that the recent changes you both have made on the last call will resolve your issue once and for all. If not, and nothing is unchanged on your setup, I will be more than willing to get Bell out there.

Regards,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

apvm

join:2003-02-14
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to Mark777
If Mark has already tried connecting his PC direct to the modem (bridged mode) and uses Windows build in PPPOE to test connection and still problem, it should not be his equipment. JMO

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to Mark777
said by Mark777 :

I have maintained DSL sync throughout all of this, as I said earlier in this post "Despite asking repeatedly, Nobody at Teksavvy has explained to me how I can have full DSL sync, confirmed by their own tech support, but no internet."

I had to reboot to get internet back -- lost internet again wiithout losing DSL sync -- but that was a while ago , it might have been 15 minutes before your post but I think it was earlier than that.

It happens too often now to keep track. In fact, I've had to teach the children to cycle the router & modem.

Seeing what John has written I don't see the interaction from TekSavvy asking "how do you for sure that you are getting full sync at all times?" can you quantify this? Saying you do and actually demonstrating that you do are two very different things.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to TSI Andre
This is why I got away from DSL anything. Its too much head ache at the end of the day. I have had very little issues with my Tek cable.

Mark777

@teksavvy.com
reply to Leathal
"Nobody at Teksavvy has explained to me how I can have full DSL sync, confirmed by their own tech support, but no internet."

As I said It's been confirmed by TSI's own tech support that I have full sync at 6meg, as indicated by their remote testing, but no internet.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Leathal
said by Leathal:

This is why I got away from DSL anything. Its too much head ache at the end of the day. I have had very little issues with my Tek cable.

I've had only 1 issue with SLPPP - the major difference for me is upload. Cable just doesn't compare and it makes such a big difference.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to Mark777
Is this a level 1 or level 2 tech confirming you have full sync? I find most times that level 1 techs don't always know what they are talking about even if they have the tools to test the connection.

Second, you need to understand that Teksavvy isn't responsible for anything plugged in after your modem, so if you have a router or computer plugged into the modem that's your responsibility. They will do their best (its called best effort) to assist you but you have to follow their instructions and prove the problem isn't your fault.

In the IT support desk industry the number one rule is, the client is always wrong until proven otherwise.

Once you can rule out the router, or your PC, or the CAT5e cable then you have case but by then the ISP should be able to see more of what the problem is.

thcmacgyver

join:2010-01-29
canada
reply to Mark777
HI Mark777,
Looking at your stats
ast State Change: 01/02 16:15:22 (Uptime: 900)
Line Profile: al2_d6016-6016-384_u512-512-256
DLM State: DISABLED | Equip. Type: OSLAM
Sync Rate: d6016.0/u512.0 kbps
RCO: d84.0/u64.0%
Noise Margin: d9.0/u16.0 dB
Power: d7.0/u12.0 dB
Attenuation: d6.0/u2.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 0.43~0.44km)
Block Count: d193712.0/u33164.0
There is an issue on the line. Hard to say right now, if its in or outside of the residence.
Now the average level 1 tech would not see it, and tsi Jon f and Andre would not really understand why. Mostly as they have not been in the tech field that long as i have been.
Now here is why they are wrong.
Look at your line attenuation is 6/2 which tells me your very close to the slam (less then 1km). Now that your on an al2 interleaved(higher ping times) so can have some less pressure on the line already. If you got on a fast path profile al1 your rco would be in the 90+ % which is now getting many errors and will have more a visible drops signals so teksavvy can see this easier. Al1 is best for gaming and voip services. Now a perfect line would have low RCO at 1km on a 6mb, as you should be around 50-60% roughly. Now what bell is great for, is they would lower trouble lines to al2 so it brings the line to a stable line, so they don’t have to dispatch a tech, but its more a quick fix and not long term fix. Its like seeing a red engine light on your car and putting a sticker of the red light so your don’t have to see it, and think it will last for ever, which it wont as it will only get worse down the road. Now if your signals were already on al1 and you have 84% then I would say your lines are fine
Now i see you have changed modems and connection here and there. But if you can get a signal reading from two or more jacks, i can tell you if there is an issue inside or outside easily by comparing them. But if you have a test jack outside, that would be perfect as then i can tell you if its an outside or inside issue, and with tests on in and outside jacks I can get a full idea of what your lines look like. But again there is an issue, as you should not be that high in RCO. What is causing the issues is the short on the line or corrosion, that is causing the signal to go up and down and would cause routers to loose connection. Now their lantran would not be able to detect this off hand, but they don’t really know their signal levels, as I challenge any of their techs to signal levels, as they should know who I am. If you can get me that info, and PM me I will help you better.