uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

GData Antvirus 2013 and Fx?

Anyone using GData Antivirus 2013 with Fx? I installed it last night. VERY different GUI from past years. Very simple now. I rarely shut down Fx but had to because GData reboots the computer after installing. So, I got it configured but did not restart Fx as it was very late.

Today, I started Fx and resumed the previous session which has about 100 tabs to load. When they were finally loaded, GData popped up and wanted to install a banking extension on Fx. I said no because it meant that I would have to restart Fx and wait for it to load all the tabs again. Plus, I thought I had declined that during the installation of GData where I declined email protection, and some other stuff, but maybe the Fx extension was not declinable during installation...I'm not sure.

Anyhow, Fx froze. The computer froze. Geez....at least it was easy to uninstall GData. I see why folks use Windows Defender even though it has bad detection. All the others are either cloud ridden (GData isn't), have horrible FP rates (GData has the lowest) or other bad things about them (the worst thing about GData is that the on demand scanner is extremely slow). Anyhow, anyone here using GData AV 2013 with Fx? It could be that the problem of freezing is because I still use Fx 10.0.10 ESR but it is supported until mid February so it should work with GData 2013 as this version of GData came out last summer.

GData did try to insist that I uninstall the "active antivirus" program Spyware Blaster before installing it but I forced it to install without my removing Spyware Blaster. What is with these vendors which think Spyware Blaster is an antivirus program with a real time scanner? Geez.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 edits

Dustyn

Premium Member

GData looks great. Unfortunately I have little to no experience with it. I tried installing the Internet Security package taking it for a spin a couple years ago, but found the GUI to be rather clunky, unorganized and slow to respond. The program itself seemed rather heavy on memory usage compared to other notable contenders. However, it appears as if things are turning around for the better in these areas. I may have to give GData another try some day. On a secondary note... why are you so damn opposed to cloud based analysis as a second opinion when no other information on said suspect file is available? And it looks as if GData advertises cloud analysis.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But with GData, you don't have to use the cloud. A lot of AV now you have to use the cloud.

Yes, I had tried GData a couple of years ago. I loved the detailed GUI then as I like to have a highly configurable AV. But, it was VERY HEAVY on RAM and bogged my computer down. Plus, I got a BSOD caused by it yet there was NO USA support and I did send an email to support in Germany and never got a reply.

But GData has been drastically overhauled for version 2013. Plus, it now has a USA toll free support number as well as email support. I don't know how good the phone support is and I would assume phone support would not be available for the trial version. They are getting BIG and worldwide judging from the support page with the phone numbers for so many nations. They desperately need more download servers as there is their server in Germany and one mirror. Both take FOREVER to download the program which is BIG (330MB) from Hawaii. I tried at all different times of the day and night and every time download on a 20/2 connection was at 120KB/sec! So, it took about an hour to download on my "Turbo" TWC connection.

Someone most of us who visit Wilders Security for many years know and respect has been with GData for a year now and I think the changes may be his doing but I haven't talked to him since he took the management position there so I don't really know but every other AV vendor he has been with he was responsible for big changes.

I'll probably try installing it again and then opening Fx to a new one tab only session instead of resuming my last session of 100 tabs and I'll let the extension install. I'm concerned though, with their extremely slow servers, about GData hourly updates...I wonder how long those will take each hour! Probably no problems for those on the Mainland USA but way off in Hawaii....
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

I reinstalled GData a few minutes ago and this time I opened Fx with just one tab and the GData popup request to install a banking extension did not cause Fx to freeze.

However, I encountered another SERIOUS problem. It was likely there the first time I installed GData but Fx freezing kept me from noticing it as I uninstalled it right away after that freeze.

With GData installed, I could not access HostsMan! And ALL HOST ENTRIES WERE PURGED! When I tried to open HostsMan, I got a popup saying "Access Denied" and Hostsman looked blank (the entire program as well as there being no entries)). I couldn't even close HostsMan where it opens on the Desktop after booting.

I have contacted GData support. I am wondering if GData does something like Windows Defender and maybe I have to exclude Hostsman from the scanners? I won't surf without my Hostsfile entries as I have zero interest in having Facebook and Twitter tracking me or Google analytics, etc. So, I uninstalled GData again.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Gee, the support forum at abelhadigital is nasty. I'm a member there but it said my user name was wrong. I doubt that but I tried to register again and I can't. In fact the forum software said I tried too many times and barred me from trying again "until later" whatever that is!

That is the worst captcha I have encountered in YEARS. It is completely unreadable and will NOT offer me a different one! What is even worse, it has no option to hear the captcha.