share rss forum feed

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[Anime] What do you use to watch streaming anime?

Lately I've been using the 360 to watch Hulu Plus and Crunchyroll on my tv. The Hulu app is solid and has yet to give me any problems unlike the newly released Crunchyroll one.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

uteck

join:2009-12-30

I have been happy with XBMC with the Cruncyroll-takeout addon.
--
no .sig found, please restart your browser.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10
reply to juilinsandar

I don't stream much as I haven't seen an interface I like. I like just hitting a single button to jump ~10 seconds forward or back, or another button for 1 minute. None of that "press forward/rewind and then try to hit play at the right moment with only jerky, still images as a reference" crap followed by several seconds of buffering, just a quick single tap (or a small number of multiple taps to seek a long way) and I'm there.

That said, when I do stream I use the Crunchyroll app on the Roku. It's not great, but it gets the job done. I liked the old app before they "Netflix-ified" it. Sure it didn't look as flashy, but it worked and responded quickly. The new one has to stop to load quite a bit. It also doesn't like to be left running for days straight (the old one I could finish an episode and walk away for a week or 3, and when I came back I could hit 'next' and it would start playing. The new one doesn't like that one bit).

/M

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to juilinsandar

My PC is connected to my plasma with HDMI. I stream from CR, Funi, where ever. I use Zoom player as my desktop player for stuff I download, but I've used VLC as well. The quality from the CR app on my PS3 is lower than just streaming directly from their site on the computer, so I prefer to do it that way.

My PS3 uses CR and Neon Alley. I don't like HULU.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by captokita:

My PC is connected to my plasma with HDMI. I stream from CR, Funi, where ever.

I've been considering doing the same. I've just been hoping that the Crunchyroll app would get better in the meantime.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by juilinsandar:

I've been considering doing the same. I've just been hoping that the Crunchyroll app would get better in the meantime.

Certainly makes life easier. I used to download something, then have to convert it to tv-compatible size, so the subs wouldn't be cut off, then burn it to DVD, and play it on the tv. Once I bought my current computer, I planned from the start to make it so I could put it on the tv. HDMI to the tv, audio out to my receiver. Works well.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to juilinsandar

I use my PS3 or my Roku. My kids seem to use their PCs, Ipods, or Nexus 7 for streaming.
I use Crackle and Netflix on my Devices.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to juilinsandar

I have a HTPC set up to my tv with a wireless keyboard/touch pad. Makes life a lot easier for me.

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

1 edit

I use Logitech Revue with the Crunchyroll app, as well as the same on my Galaxy Nexus.

I'd use it on my Nexus 7 too, but the app has some kind of problem where it never loads and just sits in a blank screen where I can't do anything.

I subscribe yearly, and I watch very frequently. As you probably know, cable doesn't really like anime (at least, US cable doesn't).
There's no normal anime channel, and the only anime available is from Adult Swim (which can go away any time).

Of course, there are on-demand offerings from my cable provider, but... the Free Anime channel has TWO whole choices - TWO - as in, two different shows, with one episode each for them and that's it.
There's a paid anime channel, but how do I know that they don't just simply have a cadre of shows, but like one episode each just like the Free Anime channel?

OK, so I went off on a tangent. Well, I think CR is the only legal anime site.

I watch AnimeUltima sometimes on my Logitech Revue, but it usually makes it unresposive and lock up when it works, so I only watch it on PC.
It's free, but legally questionable, and not of the best quality, but it's all I can do until Crunchyroll gets more of my favorite series (I use CR for new anime to check out, like Lucky Star).

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

I actually use the Revue's keyboard/touchpad for my HTPC, it is a nice media remote with good range. I also use Crunchyroll with a 12 mo sub and supplement it with piracy for any other content they dont carry, which is rare.

Tenar

join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON
reply to juilinsandar

I've used Crackle on PS3 and tried funimation's channel on Ruku and also used funimation's web streaming. of course netflix too mostly on PS3. Tried the Manga app on, I think it was xbox, it was really awful.

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to juilinsandar

Hulu Plus, Netflix and Crunchyroll. I think I would watch Crunchyroll and even subscribe if they'd get service on streaming for blu-ray.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

They quasi stream already at 1080p. What are you looking for when you say "blu-ray."

mareastrum

Saint Louis, MO

If you're familiar with the Sony blu-ray players, they are wifi ready and have apps for viewing streaming services - Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.

As far as I know Crunchyroll doesn't have one for that particular platform, just the ones listed on their devices page:

»www.crunchyroll.com/devices

If they did, I would happily subscribe because then the husband can finally watch HunterxHunter and I'll be ready when the new spring line up starts - looking forward to one show in particular there.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

On the Sony player I just got it's not on there. I was actually quite suprised with the omission because it runs like a mini ps3. It is equipped to get updates so perhaps a bit of pressure on crunchy roll is needed.

My wife prefers crunchy roll as it usually has an option to play the show in the original language (with english subtitles), hulu sometimes does and netlix not so much. Between the three services she can find almost everything she wants to watch.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC

said by graniterock:

My wife prefers crunchy roll as it usually has an option to play the show in the original language (with english subtitles), hulu sometimes does and netlix not so much. Between the three services she can find almost everything she wants to watch.

CR doesn't have very many dubs on their site. I think the ones they HAD (like Gundam 00 and Eureka 7) are gone now due to expired licenses. Their programming is pretty much sub only. I recall hearing this feature is on SOME videos on Netflix, but I've not seen that.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

She talked to a Netflix CSR about because off hand one would think as a digital service it would be trivialto be able to do an original language audio track option (with optional english subtitles). The CSR basically said their plan is to do this for as many shows as possible but there was no timeline on implementation. My wife likes learning foreign languages and she finds watching anime helps to solidify her skills.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to juilinsandar

I user hulu on my XB360 and CR on my Roku2.

I'm not happy with the crunchy roll app on the XB360 (it doesn't let you see already viewed episodes (which is a problem because ...)

but the roku2 app works great.
--
»Death Star Petition

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to captokita

Is there any place to legally catch up with Fairy Tail?

Hulu has the 1st 48 episode which I've already seen; Crunchyroll only shows the most recent 5 or 6 episodes and Fairy Tail isn't available on Netflix.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Don't think so "legaly"

But I know ways.

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to juilinsandar

Doubtful. The only place aside from Funimation that has rights to Fairy Tail is CR, and it's precisely that licensing that requires only 4 weeks be kept. You're gonna have to find a sub group to watch.

Funimation's site has up to 48 I think. dub/sub. But you need to be a premium member to watch them ad free.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I'm trialing PlayOn software with the 360. It was amazingly simple to install. It streams files from my pc smoothly, but the interface for the netflix, hulu and other apps it comes with looks pretty clunky compared to the built in versions on the 360.
--

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1
reply to juilinsandar

Is it me or did Netflix wipe out a ton of their anime streaming content? A lot of the shows I was watching all went to DVD only... what gives...

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

They seem to have a lot less than I remember.

Maybe their streaming rights expired?

Hulu+ actually has a lot more anime titles, not to mention Crunchyroll.
--

captokita
Premium
Calabash, NC
reply to krazyboi

said by krazyboi:

Is it me or did Netflix wipe out a ton of their anime streaming content? A lot of the shows I was watching all went to DVD only... what gives...

Noticed that too, and that they haven't gotten anything new in quite some time. I figured with companies like Funimation having their own streaming they make it harder for places like Netflix to stream stuff of theirs.

Though they have started streaming the remake of He-Man, which is awesome to watch again......

mareastrum

Saint Louis, MO
reply to juilinsandar

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Seeing as the second seasons of Sekirei and Baka and Test are available, they haven't updated that. I ended up watching Sekirei on Hulu Plus and will probably follow up with Baka and Test shortly.