how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MegaMan

@bell.ca

[Internet] Use 2Wire modem in hotel: Ethernet to Wifi

Hi,
For hotel rooms that have Internet via ethernet and no wifi, is it possible to hook up my old Bell 2Wire router to the Ethernet so that I can have Wifi in the hotel room instead? If so, what settings do I need to change in the 2Wire's config?
This would allow my tablet and smartphone to get Internet as well.

Thanks

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3

Sorry, is not possible.

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
reply to MegaMan

If you have an IP like 10.222.215.100 for the cable, make sure your router is different like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 and it should work.

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
reply to MegaMan

The Bell 2Wire is not a router but a DSL modem with router and WiFi built in, you can not use it as a router only, you need to get your Internet by DSL line in first.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MegaMan

You can do this with any standalone router. You could probably get a wrt54gl on local classifieds for less than 25$ at this point.

2wire is not a good router, save yourself headaches. If there's a way to turn off the DHCP server on the 2wire, you might be able to use it as a switch, but you're just asking for a hard time.

MegaMan

@bell.ca
reply to MegaMan

Thanks for the replies.
What if I flashed the firmware to an unlocked firmware, such as what is described in steps 2-7 here:
»www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Bell-2W···dge-Mode

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within

join:2005-01-20
reply to MegaMan

It sounds like you just want to use it as a WAP (Wireless Access Point)?

It might be possible, but you would have to probe the hotel network and understand how it’s configured. I don't expect it’s as simple as a switch and a router which hands out multiple DHCP requests.

Anonymuss

@bell.ca
reply to MegaMan

Disable DHCP in the 2Wire and let the device get its IP from the hotel network.

VHS

join:2008-11-17
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MegaMan

You can use something like this:

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···33315107

It's super small. I purchased it on sale last week for $22 and it's made specifically for travellers like yourself... you don't really want to carry a bulky router around.