how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to voxframe

Re: ARGH! Ubnt radios freezing!

Well all my links that were wrapped in something insulating are working this morning, the one that wasn't died, but brought it back by dropping to 22 and lowering data rate. (Link doesn't hold at 21). Pounded it all night with traffic and she's still up this morning.

While I'm anything but impressed, I'm glad I've got a handle on it.
-26C here right now. So cold, but not bitchin' cold. Could be worse.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1
reply to voxframe
Fortunately, we don't see anything near your ball freezing temps! What, if any, has been UBNT's response to this?

join:2011-04-18
From Mr. Hardy:

"Hi guys,
We did get some recent versions back that were reported to have issues, and we tested down to -40C with these specific units. We did find an issue that was fixed with v5.5-b9, but we haven't seen any other problems in our lab temperature wise.

If you are seeing problems, can you please contact me (matt@ubnt.com)? If we can get some of these units back that fail when the temperature drops, we can investigate and see what's going on.

Thanks,
Matt"

So much for their fix :-\

For the record I have 800 devices and havent seen this problem, probably hit -15f the last two nights.... All set to 20db power.

But on the heels of the tough cable fiasco I would not welcome another catastrophe like this........

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to voxframe
While it's not a helpful comment I know... Cheap is as cheap does. I just don't expect these things to work flawlessly in every environment. They just aren't rated for it. Nor can I really expect a $80 device to do it...

With that said if they could offer us robust, fast, low latent, devices for $250-$450 a piece (for back haul use), I'm sold. Maybe the Ti series will fit the bill there, but I haven't used yet, nor did I think it was really ready firmware wise (not sure haven't followed real closely)
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to voxframe
Im in no mood to climb up a tower and get it in -26C weather.

Bad enough I have to climb a tower to replace tough cable because it might just leak water.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

thewisperer
Premium
join:2008-01-16
reply to gunther_01
I'm with you: give us the option of a 80 dollar device or a 200 dollar device with better specs that won't freeze up and is ip68 and I'm sold!

gunther_01
Premium
Saybrook, IL
reply to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

Bad enough I have to climb a tower to replace tough cable because it might just leak water.

My only suggestion to that problem is put a slice in the cat5 jacket at the bottom of your drip loop, before it fills up with water in to the POE or anything else important.

Works wonders in a jam. Seriously...
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

gunther_01
Premium
Saybrook, IL
reply to thewisperer
said by thewisperer:

I'm with you: give us the option of a 80 dollar device or a 200 dollar device with better specs that won't freeze up and is ip68 and I'm sold!

I just want something that works period.. I'm sorry, but when things were slower, like in my B mode days, I could get single digit pings all day long that almost never wavered. Now I deal with all kinds of stupid issues. High pings, drops, strange data rates that don't add up to signal strengths, the list really does go on. I know it's a different RF environment from when we started. I know we are pushing a lot higher speeds and such. But where did the stability go. Because I really feel like it has diminished over the years to be honest..

With every new firmware, and latest, greatest "x", it seems to not really live up to the fluff of where I was 8 years ago with a pretty damned solid network (albeit slower). And that is why I am really looking at different directions for us. I'm just tired of fighting with things.. Sure I have better ROI's using less expensive gear, but in the long run is it really worth it? I don't know at this point to be honest. Or at least, is it a long term solution for us is a better question for ourselves here at my Co.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to gunther_01
said by gunther_01:

said by Inssomniak:

My only suggestion to that problem is put a slice in the cat5 jacket at the bottom of your drip loop, before it fills up with water in to the POE or anything else important.

Works wonders in a jam. Seriously...

Oh yea this does work great. It's not into a Poe in this case it's into one of those rack mount 8port mid span injectors I can't remember who makes it.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca