Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to BlitzenZeus

Re: Samsung laptop for light gaming - good deal?

Thank you. Yes, that should be fine. Would you say the price is right, or could I do better?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Maven:

Thank you. Yes, that should be fine. Would you say the price is right, or could I do better?

If you're getting it from a big box (BB, FS, Staples) I'd say that's as good as you're going to get price wise.

If you live in a city, you might do better somewhere like Tiger Direct or Canada Computers, or even an independent... where you might get more for that price.

EQ

--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Maven

I'm not familiar with canuck conversion rates anymore, and local prices, so I can't help you there.

If you can find a similar laptop with a 650M, or similar amd gpu that would do better as a gaming laptop in the future. Systems with these kinds of video cards almost seem a waste of money honestly, they might as well have just used the intel gpu.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Maven
Premium
Canada

Are you saying I may as well aim for the Intel 4000 integrated GPU?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

For the estimated price of $60 for a 630 it's maybe 1.5 times more powerful than the intel gpu, and since you're getting new hardware you might want to aim a little higher for gpu performance. It's your money.

Maven
Premium
Canada

Well I could certainly aim higher. For instance:

Lenovo 15.6"
Intel Core i7-3630QM
6GB RAM
750GB HDD
GTX660M 2GB DDR5
$865

Which certainly packs more punch, but at this rate I may as well get a proper desktop PC... I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thanks

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Maven:

Which certainly packs more punch, but at this rate I may as well get a proper desktop PC... I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thanks

Three questions:

-Do you want a laptop or a desktop?

-What's your total budget?

-Was this going to be an impulse buy, and you're checking to see if it's worth it?
--

Maven
Premium
Canada

Well come to think of it, I may as well get a desktop cause it won't be moving much.

My budget is anything under $800. Honestly though, I'd rather spend as little as possible. Most of my gaming will probably remain on dedicated gaming consoles, so having a "future proof" PC isn't such a big concern.

It wasn't an impulse buy, my laptop died over the holidays and right now I'm looking for a system to replace it.

Also, I would prefer sticking with Intel because I like to tinker with Linux, and Intel offers far superior support for Linux than AMD.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Good to know, I was reading up on the 630M, and it's a rebranded 540M, (which I have on my N53SV-A2) and might be an Optimus card, which can be a PITA on Linux, so consider yourself warned.
--