spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

though

join:2003-12-03
Lincoln, NE

Amazon streaming now unwatchable - Time Warner limiting???

I have been streaming movies for several months now with my Amazon Prime account. I have noticed that the buffering has been getting more and more common the last few weeks and the last week or so it has become unwatchable.

Is this TWC putting the squeeze on the Amazon streams to get people to buy their movies instead? Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I am on the 30/5 Extreme package with the SB6141. no other devices are using bandwidth while trying to watch Amazon.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

1 recommendation

"Is this TWC putting the squeeze on the Amazon streams to get people to buy their movies instead? "

This is always the first reaction. Can we see some speed tests, traces, and any signal levels you happen to have?
Is the issue just affecting Amazon streams? You tube?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

though

Lincoln, NE

i get 30/5 speed tests consistently.

i am currently downloading 2 torrents.... 1 is rock solid @ 2.2MB/s, the other is 1MB/s.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

So your issue is totally with Amazon?

Honestly its hard to make any other comment without anything to go on.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

though

Lincoln, NE

1 edit

yes that is correct.

i am currently watching youtube 1080p vids while torrents are maxing out my d/l speeds.

at times, however, youtube 1080p will NOT play, making me wonder if twc is putting the squeeze on that at times as well :\

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to though

No, TWC is not limiting anything, it's your imagination. Do a tracert to the amazon servers. I know I have issues with 1080P loading sometimes on youtube even without torrenting. 1080p uses a lot of bandwidth, more than you'd expect, and sometimes the servers (especially youtube) can't handle it.

Find the Amazon movie server and do a tracert so we can see if/where lag is at.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

2 edits

Amazon instant video craps out for me after like 30mins of watching a 480P movie and it annoys me, but I get a constant 30.5Mbps/5Mbps so its obviously Amazon's servers being funny. I'm not too impressed with the Amazon video service. EDIT: though, ah! we're from the same division so it's likely that our internet is routed through the same backbone servers, and I have issues with 1080P youtube a lot as well.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to though

Amazon did have a Netflix outage on Christmas Day. They said it didn't effect Amazon Instant Video but maybe the issues are migrating?

though

Lincoln, NE
reply to though

i read that too and thought that was a possibility. you would think they would have it squared away 10 days later though?

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to Fleeced

Gee Fleeced are you a TWC engineer? No you say, then you cant say they are or ant limiting anything.

When specific services that are competition to TWC's services are rendered useless, yet other methods work. Occam's razor sugests its TWC traffic shaping that traffic, especially if it happens on non-peak times of day.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
reply to though

I can't stream 10-8P youtube on a Time Warner 250Mbit fiber link at a customer site. And since I'm their IT geek I can tell you its not the LAN. I figure the peering points may be overloaded - people on 15 Mbit FIOS seem to be able to get 1080P. I don't think TWC would throttle you.

bn1221

Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

Amazon did have a Netflix outage on Christmas Day. They said it didn't effect Amazon Instant Video but maybe the issues are migrating?

Since Amazon and Netflix are different CDNs I'm not sure that that is relevant.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to though

said by though:

yes that is correct.

i am currently watching youtube 1080p vids while torrents are maxing out my d/l speeds.

at times, however, youtube 1080p will NOT play, making me wonder if twc is putting the squeeze on that at times as well :\

Youtube just sucks. It's not limited to TWC. I have this issue on an AT&T and a no-name-mom-and-pop cable company as well.

There was a Youtube video out there that showed you how to overcome the Youtube slowness. I ran that video and did what it said, and it seems to have fixed it for me on my RR link.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

Not sure if this was it. Anyway, youtube will generally max out my connection now.

Now if maps.google.com didn't suck so bad....

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 edit
reply to bn1221

said by bn1221 See Profile

:

Because Netflix utilizes Amazon's CDN to help deliver content to their customers? Which I admit is strange considering how much they compete with each other in the market for streaming video.

»www.homemediamagazine.com/netfli···dn-29175

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to though

The whole point of streaming is to make viewing harder.
Piracy: the only way to watch.

though

Lincoln, NE
reply to though

almost seems that way doesn't it :\

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to bn1221

said by bn1221:

Amazon Apologizes for Christmas Eve Outage

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to bn1221

said by bn1221:

I figure the peering points may be overloaded - people on 15 Mbit FIOS seem to be able to get 1080P. I don't think TWC would throttle you.

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

/M

twcsucks

@rr.com
reply to unoriginal

Netflix uses Limelight and L3. Amazon has its own CDN - different CDN?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to mackey

Frequently traffic for other sites without problems traverse the same peering/transit points, so its possible the CDN side of the connection to those aggregation points might be the issue. You'd need more info to really figure it out.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

though

Lincoln, NE

1 edit
reply to though

well it's gotta be amazon or twc. my $$$ is on twc.

mackey
Premium
reply to twcsucks

said by twcsucks :

Netflix uses Limelight and L3. Amazon has its own CDN - different CDN?

»www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2···mas-eve/

/M

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to though

said by though:

well it's gotta be amazon or twc. might $$$ is on twc.

got any data to back it up either way? Neighbors with the same issue, TWC internet demo computer in their local office with the same issue, traces to the local amazon video servers, etc.

Multiple local instances of the issue will be needed for either company to look into it and address it.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to though

AT&T U-verse customer here. Been making good use of Amazon Prime to watch lots of Amazon Video for the past week or so, with minimal problems. Then all of a sudden last night it became all but unwatchable. Not sure what the status is right now, though.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to though

I wonder if this also applies to Amazon's services like it does to YouTube's...

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···_stream/

You could also try changing your DNS servers to use either OpenDNS (208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220) or Google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4).

bn1221

Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
reply to mackey

Thank you for that. I thought Netflix uses someone else - remember the hoohah about Comcast and the L3 and Tata links and blaming netflix.

It does seem odd Amazon would host Netlfix content. I have a 768K line in a cabin - Netflix streams to the Roku, but Amazon prime stalls and buffers.

I would have thought from that informal observation that Amazon was a different CDN than Amazon - perhaps the Netflix streams are VC1 (I am pretty sure they are since that's the default on the Roku) where Amazon is using a higher bit rate codec?

CDNguy

@verizon.net
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

mackey
Premium

said by CDNguy :

said by mackey:

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

Um, no. The CDN providers can only choose from the routes the ISPs advertise. If an ISP only advertises to a CDN from a single link then that's the only link the CDN is gonna use.

/M

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to though

I know this is about Amazon and I don't want to hijack this thread but Netflix is streaming terrible tonight for me. Tried everything I can think of so I gave up. The reason why I posted this is because Netflix uses Amazon CDN.

though

Lincoln, NE
reply to though

go figure. amazon worked perfect tonight. not 1 hiccup.