Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

though

join:2003-12-03
Lincoln, NE

1 edit
reply to though

Re: Amazon streaming now unwatchable - Time Warner limiting???

well it's gotta be amazon or twc. my $$$ is on twc.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to twcsucks
said by twcsucks :

Netflix uses Limelight and L3. Amazon has its own CDN - different CDN?

»www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2···mas-eve/

/M

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to though
said by though:

well it's gotta be amazon or twc. might $$$ is on twc.

got any data to back it up either way? Neighbors with the same issue, TWC internet demo computer in their local office with the same issue, traces to the local amazon video servers, etc.

Multiple local instances of the issue will be needed for either company to look into it and address it.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to though
AT&T U-verse customer here. Been making good use of Amazon Prime to watch lots of Amazon Video for the past week or so, with minimal problems. Then all of a sudden last night it became all but unwatchable. Not sure what the status is right now, though.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to though
I wonder if this also applies to Amazon's services like it does to YouTube's...

»www.reddit.com/r/technology/comm···_stream/

You could also try changing your DNS servers to use either OpenDNS (208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220) or Google (8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4).

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
reply to mackey
Thank you for that. I thought Netflix uses someone else - remember the hoohah about Comcast and the L3 and Tata links and blaming netflix.

It does seem odd Amazon would host Netlfix content. I have a 768K line in a cabin - Netflix streams to the Roku, but Amazon prime stalls and buffers.

I would have thought from that informal observation that Amazon was a different CDN than Amazon - perhaps the Netflix streams are VC1 (I am pretty sure they are since that's the default on the Roku) where Amazon is using a higher bit rate codec?

CDNguy

@verizon.net
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
said by CDNguy :

said by mackey:

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

Um, no. The CDN providers can only choose from the routes the ISPs advertise. If an ISP only advertises to a CDN from a single link then that's the only link the CDN is gonna use.

/M

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to though
I know this is about Amazon and I don't want to hijack this thread but Netflix is streaming terrible tonight for me. Tried everything I can think of so I gave up. The reason why I posted this is because Netflix uses Amazon CDN.

though

Lincoln, NE
reply to though
go figure. amazon worked perfect tonight. not 1 hiccup.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to tonyram57
Did you try changing your DNS servers and adding a firewall rule to block traffic to/from 206.111.0.0/16?

though

Lincoln, NE
i always have used 8.8.8.8 as my dns server. i didn't do the firewall rule.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

2 edits
Different DNS servers can lead to different CDN servers. Using Google's DNS may lead to an overloaded off-net link or server where using TWCs DNS servers may lead to a dedicated link and/or an on-net caching server.

You should try different DNS servers to see if there is a difference. Trace routes would help show the difference.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

though

Lincoln, NE
ok next time there is a hiccup i'll switch between google, opendns, and twc and see if there is a difference.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
I have 3 different providers setup for DNS -

though

Lincoln, NE
said by scooper:

I have 3 different providers setup for DNS -

how does that work exactly?

though

Lincoln, NE
reply to though
once again, rock solid again today. did twc get my ip from this thread and open the floodgates?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
How would TWC get your IP from this thread? They can't.