join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde

Re: Asus tablet issue with gyro

Click for full size
said by OverrRyde:

Anyhow, surprise! I again dropped it from an even lower height than before and now it works! I guess aurgarhor was right!

It was a really bad idea to drop your tablet again.

I used to work at ST in 1999/2000 when first generation mems sensors were being developed. Designers want device to be essentially obliterated by shock before mems elements could be damaged. Please have a look at the maximum g specs of current generation and rest assured the sensor was not damaged.

Their buggy "free fall" handling algorithm most probably caused the original problem after first drop and apparent fix after second drop. It is possible that a hard reset would have done the same.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by lutful:

Their buggy "free fall" handling algorithm most probably caused the original problem after first drop and apparent fix after second drop. It is possible that a hard reset would have done the same.

I've heard that stiction of the MEMS sensor element is a potential problem when it hits its limit? Perhaps the MEMS sensor was simply "stuck". Is this true/possible?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

I've heard that stiction of the MEMS sensor element is a potential problem when it hits its limit? Perhaps the MEMS sensor was simply "stuck". Is this true/possible?

Yes, if you apply greater than maximum g spec shock, the cantilever arms will vibrate all the way down to the substrate. But they have to somehow get stuck and then remain stuck for more than a few microseconds. Really difficult unless you attach one to a bullet or missile.

Very high humidity and pollutants could cause stiction in mems microphones and some sensor designs which allows outside air and gases to come into the cavity. Otherwise this is a problem mainly during fabrication (due to processing liquids) and those chips are thrown out.