hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to though

Premium Member

to though

Re: Amazon streaming now unwatchable - Time Warner limiting???

So your issue is totally with Amazon?

Honestly its hard to make any other comment without anything to go on.

Hob
though
join:2003-12-03
Lincoln, NE

1 edit

though

yes that is correct.

i am currently watching youtube 1080p vids while torrents are maxing out my d/l speeds.

at times, however, youtube 1080p will NOT play, making me wonder if twc is putting the squeeze on that at times as well :\
though

though

i read that too and thought that was a possibility. you would think they would have it squared away 10 days later though?

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to though

to though
I can't stream 10-8P youtube on a Time Warner 250Mbit fiber link at a customer site. And since I'm their IT geek I can tell you its not the LAN. I figure the peering points may be overloaded - people on 15 Mbit FIOS seem to be able to get 1080P. I don't think TWC would throttle you.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to though

Premium Member

to though
said by though:

yes that is correct.

i am currently watching youtube 1080p vids while torrents are maxing out my d/l speeds.

at times, however, youtube 1080p will NOT play, making me wonder if twc is putting the squeeze on that at times as well :\

Youtube just sucks. It's not limited to TWC. I have this issue on an AT&T and a no-name-mom-and-pop cable company as well.

There was a Youtube video out there that showed you how to overcome the Youtube slowness. I ran that video and did what it said, and it seems to have fixed it for me on my RR link.

»www.youtube.com/my_speed

Not sure if this was it. Anyway, youtube will generally max out my connection now.

Now if maps.google.com didn't suck so bad....

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

I figure the peering points may be overloaded - people on 15 Mbit FIOS seem to be able to get 1080P. I don't think TWC would throttle you.

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

/M

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Frequently traffic for other sites without problems traverse the same peering/transit points, so its possible the CDN side of the connection to those aggregation points might be the issue. You'd need more info to really figure it out.

CDNguy
@verizon.net

CDNguy to mackey

Anon

to mackey
said by mackey:

Depends on your definition of "throttle." I consider knowingly overloading links or peering points in order to cause a bottleneck, or not doing anything to releave an overload, to be the same thing as throttling. The end result is pretty much the same at least.

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by CDNguy :

said by mackey:

As CDN's are the ones who choose which peering link or cheap-o transit provider to flood, your definition of throttling is happening on the CDN side.

CDN's are the ones that control the "best path" performance. ISPs have little control on the link choices.

Um, no. The CDN providers can only choose from the routes the ISPs advertise. If an ISP only advertises to a CDN from a single link then that's the only link the CDN is gonna use.

/M