@videotron.ca

shrug to bt

Anon

to bt

Re: Another Rogers Rate Increase

said by bt:

said by hjlow:

only problem is teksavvy gives your ip to whoever asks for it :/

Only when a court order requires it of them.

And teksavvy allows themselves to be stepped on to save a dollar instead of challenging anything, as the could and should.

*shrug*

They are only one step above videotron, who did nothing.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

and they would have a 10GB cap with said service. So it is nonsense that they would triple their customer base...

Well, that may be true. My point was, not everybody needs massive caps and downstream speed. I use my computer 12 hours a day yet I rarely use more than 16GB/month. I certainly don't need 25 down but the 2 up is ideal.

If Rogers were to cut the Express 25/2 80GB in half and create a tier with that @$25/month then IMHO it would suit the needs of a large demographic that isn't currently being addressed. Paying $48.99 for 80GB is a waste for me when 40GB would still be more than double what I use.

A residential 10/2 tier at $25/$30 month would fill my needs perfectly.

There are probably many users over 55 that aren't download junkies. To me, the internet is just another source of information that I use. Nothing more/nothing less. We grew up without the Internet. It's not that big of a "must have".

Since Rogers insists on bandwidth caps then IMHO Rogers should move to true Usage Based Billing and all bandwidth should be sold in 20/50/100GB blocks or just charge the consumer for the bandwidth they actually use.

Even if it was $30 for the 10/2 plus whatever bandwidth block you purchased IMHO at least you're only billed for what you use/want.
dgass
join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON

dgass

What I'm starting to notice about some posters here really scares me. The big three have successfully, it appears, convinced the general users that they need to think of wired broadband usage the same way they have been getting away with the cash cow that is wireless data.

Charging users for data usage above the bandwidth they sell with the speed of your connection each month is nothing more than a double bill. Billing you twice for the same thing.

I never thought I would see the day that the general users in Ontario speak of wired broadband Internet data the same as wireless data. Looks like the old saying has truth that if you tell a lie long enough people start to believe it.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

said by dgass:

I never thought I would see the day that the general users in Ontario speak of wired broadband Internet data the same as wireless data. Looks like the old saying has truth that if you tell a lie long enough people start to believe it.

You are 10,000% correct. It's not that anybody believes Rogers propaganda. We all know and hate the way we're nickel and dimed to death.

But in the face of reality, if this is the way it's going to be, then let's level the playing field and go to True Usage Based Billing. If this is the way Rogers wants it then lets make them account for every penny we pay them. I want everything itemized on my monthly Internet bill right down to the last KB of usage. I want to know my Internet charges/usage right down to the last penny. Rogers is the one that started this shit not us.

What Rogers is doing now is just ripping people off under the illusion that it's UBB.

When you go buy gas you don't pump 10 litres but get charged for 50 because the service center doesn't sell 10 litres at a time. This is exactly what Rogers is doing with the internet.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to dgass

to dgass
said by dgass:

Charging users for data usage above the bandwidth they sell with the speed of your connection each month is nothing more than a double bill. Billing you twice for the same thing.

If they greatly reduce the existing charge, then it's not billing twice for the same thing. For example if they charge $10 or $20 per month to have a connection, and then they charge $x for y gigabytes, that's two separate line items for two separate things.

I think elitefx has a point -- lots of people are subscribing to services that offer far more than they need, and as a result are likely paying more than they need to.

It's not a perfect comparison, but take newsgroups access for instance. Many people think paying $10/mo for unlimited is the only way to go, and that's because they download a LOT of content so for them it probably is the best way to go. But I hardly download anything at all, so why pay $10/mo when the same amount will buy me a block that will last 2 years?

If people had the same options when choosing how to buy their internet, I think more than you expect would choose the block method.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by Ree:

But I hardly download anything at all, so why pay $10/mo when the same amount will buy me a block that will last 2 years?

If people had the same options when choosing how to buy their internet, I think more than you expect would choose the block method.

Yes, and all things being equal, a properly administered "bandwidth block" purchase would last until you've used all your allotted bandwidth. Rolling over each month till it was used up. The way it's done now is highway robbery. This is where the CRTC needs to change the rules.

Rogers wants UBB, I say Bring It On.............
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Since Rogers insists on bandwidth caps then IMHO Rogers should move to true Usage Based Billing and all bandwidth should be sold in 20/50/100GB blocks or just charge the consumer for the bandwidth they actually use.

Even if it was $30 for the 10/2 plus whatever bandwidth block you purchased IMHO at least you're only billed for what you use/want.

Except Rogers has no interest in offering UBB properly, so it wouldn't make sense for the consumer.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to shrug

to shrug
said by shrug :

said by bt:

said by hjlow:

only problem is teksavvy gives your ip to whoever asks for it :/

Only when a court order requires it of them.

And teksavvy allows themselves to be stepped on to save a dollar instead of challenging anything, as the could and should.

Still not the same as just giving it out to anyone who asks for it.

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy to Sunfox

Premium Member

to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

Of course, all this is because of Rogers' horrible profits. I mean just look at these dreadful numbers:

Q4 2011: $327 million profit
Q1 2012: $356 million profit
Q2 2012: $400 million profit
Q3 2012: $466 million profit

I mean clearly something had to be done. Any reasonable person can see that 1.5 billion profit in 12 months isn't anywhere near enough, so it was time to significantly increase rates for their customers.

Last I saw, companies are still allowed to make a profit and that is their goal - profit generation for the benefit of their investors. Too many people are under the wrong impression that corporations are supposed to benefit society and their employees. That is not the case at all. Just about all products and services are elastic. So if you do not like the price, discontinue purchase of those services and products. If enough people do it, the price will come down to generate demand.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

1 edit

Sunfox

Indeed they are allowed. However, when times are tough for many people, and a company's profits are already growing at a steady rate at the current pricing structure, what is the moral justification for a mass price increase far above the cost of inflation, at an earlier schedule than usual?

Are they in danger of going bankrupt? Have they seen a sudden and unexpected increase in the cost of doing business? Are you getting an equal increase in service for the extra money?

I know I wasn't in March 2012 when I cancelled Rogers internet after 15 straight years. $2 more per month for all the upgrades done during the past year. But oh wait, I was still on a D2 plan, meaning I was stuck at 10mbit and 95gb while the rate increase that I had to pay along with everyone else was being justified by the increases to 28mbit and 120gb on my Extreme plan. But if I wanted to see those new improvements, I'd also have to rent a $7 modem they wouldn't let me buy (and refused to provide gratis). So, to get what I was being charged for, I'd have to pay a total of $9 more per month.

No thanks. Rogers was very disagreeable to negotiate with on the phone, and told me that because I was under contract, they were allowed to increase the rates to whatever they wanted and I could do NOTHING ABOUT IT except pay the new rate or break the contract and pay the full penalty (in direct contradiction to the text being used on this year's rate increase notice).

I was so turned off by that attitude (combined with my experience the prior year where I discovered false billing where my bill said I was getting X% discount but if you did the math it was actually less than half of X% - and they refused to correct more than 3 months overbilling), I broke the contract and paid the penalty anyways.

Over the past year I've further cut down my Rogers television service to about half of what it once was, so now I don't need to be held hostage by their contracts to get 20-35% off in order to bring Rogers service rates down to the same price levels as other companies.

So tell me, since you're in Cincinnati, jduffy, and don't have to deal with the Rogers and Bell duopoly... what are your choices for internet service and television there? What do you pay for that service, and what were you paying say 3 years ago for that same service? Let's compare notes.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Sunfox:

Indeed they are allowed. However, when times are tough for many people, and a company's profits are already growing at a steady rate at the current pricing structure, what is the moral justification for a mass price increase far above the cost of inflation, at an earlier schedule than usual?

Are they in danger of going bankrupt? Have they seen a sudden and unexpected increase in the cost of doing business? Are you getting an equal increase in service for the extra money?

The cost of doing business is typically pretty high for Rogers. Rogers sits on massive amounts of debt and they probably took on even more by joining forces with Bell to acquire MLSE. They need to ensure that they have sustained revenue flowing in to ensure that they can continue to finance their debt and not head into bankruptcy.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Gtr7

Mod

to Gtr7
Some very quick and rough (and probably inaccurate) arithmetic follows ...

if you look at the total number of Rogers subscribers (probably 4 million individuals with one or more services), it would average out to about to something like $100 per account per year. That is awfully slim profit on their revenue per customer.

This is why Rogers had their credit rating go to pot when they went to take on internet after @home went bye bye. It's not the numeric profit that counts, it's the fact that additional customer costs of only $10 per month could wipe it all out. Basically that means a couple support calls per month per customer.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox to Gtr7

to Gtr7
Aww... now I feel all sorry for Rogers. C'mon, Rogers, you clearly aren't billing enough for your services! Don't just raise your rates now, have the good sense to do it again in July too!

The people have spoken!

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
If we count wireless in your numbers, Rogers has over 9 million wireless customers, so the profit per customer would be even lower.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

True enough.

The big problem though is that instead of running a tight and reliable efficient service where their costs per customer are therefore lower, they choose instead to rely on high volume and hit the customer with rate increases to make up for their own inadequacies.

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy to Sunfox

Premium Member

to Sunfox
I am always surprised that people use the "tough times" comment to object to price increases. Why?

Because when times are good and a company is not doing well, customers to not flock to the company and buy more or pay a higher price to help out the company.

Second, morality does not figure into pricing of a product or service. It is totally demand driven when it comes to elastic products or services. Should a farmer price his products low because they are food and everyone needs food, thereby endangering his ability to make a living?

You did exactly what should happen in a capitalist society. They increased prices, you did not feel you were getting any value, so you cancelled the service. If enough people would have done what you did, they would have been forced to lower prices. But it appears that demand thus justified the increase because people stayed with the service.

Remember, a product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by jduffy:

But it appears that demand thus justified the increase because people stayed with the service.

Remember, a product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Yea, you don't seem to realize here in Canada we're the victims of a duopoly because of government deregulation of telecommunications.

It's not like if we don't like our current Telco we can go somewhere else for service.

Things have degraded to the point the 2 dominant telcos actually bought an NHL franchise together. Trust me, there's a rotten stench in the Telco barrel here in Canada. Price fixing has become a national sport. And the CRTC regulatory commission just bends over and takes it dry from Rogers and Bell.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Gtr7

Premium Member

to Gtr7
Now who doesn't like LESS for MORE $$$??

dabonz7
join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

dabonz7 to Gtr7

to Gtr7
I say u can't beat them; join them

Gtr7
Premium Member
join:2005-05-01

Gtr7

Premium Member

OK service has been cancelled and the 30 days has to be served and I am being billed for this ... OK I understand.

I go to log on to check usage yesterday and I get this.

This account has been cancelled. As a result, limited functions are available, one = I can't see what my usage is now.

I had to call Rogers to ask what I'm at for usage so far this billing cycle (I had a rough idea before I called). What bullshit this is .. I still got about 4 weeks to go with them.

Using netmeter to keep track now till its over to get a rough idea what I use .. only one in household connected to them here right now.

Paying right to the end so I might as well use them to the end even though I've got Teksavvy up and running.

Looking back to some old emails and found this one (above picture in year 2004).
The speed setup for modem is underlined for the Rogers extreme service and thats less download speed then what I get now with Teksavvy DSL.

Like I said before, the speed was ok with me at 5MB (2004) but I want more allowance now which Rogers could not offer to me at what I call a decent price anymore. I`m not paying $64.99 plus tax for 95 Gig or evan 120 Gig if Ì upgrade my modem.
Mindman
join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC

Mindman

I'm on Telus and i pay 49.99 for 250gb allowance rogers dl cap is just utterly retarded.. im waiting for new hardware to hit my area so i can get 50/10 from telus and it has a 450gb cap i think. for 74.99 or 69.99

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to Gtr7

to Gtr7
Well, Rogers went ahead and done it Jan 23/2013: »www.rogers.com/web/Roger ··· _HISPEED

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent

said by elitefx:

Well, Rogers went ahead and done it Jan 23/2013: »www.rogers.com/web/Roger ··· _HISPEED

And yet New Brunswick continues to get 500Gig for $52. »www.rogers.com/web/Roger ··· _HISPEED

Anaron
join:2005-01-28
North York, ON

Anaron to Gtr7

to Gtr7
Wow. I pay TekSavvy $39.95/month for 18 Mbps down, 512 Kbps up and a 300 GB monthly bandwidth limit. It's hard to believe that Rogers is charging customers $41.49/month for 6 Mbps down, 256 Kbps up and a measly 20 GB monthly limit.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

These prices are just disgusting...

Yet another kick to convince my dad to switch over to TSI.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Gtr7

Premium Member

to Gtr7
so they lowered the caps again?
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

Viper359 to Gtr7

Premium Member

to Gtr7
That is why every time Rogers increase prices, I remove the increase in services. Usually cable channels. I have switched over to a full voip system in my house last year, and as such, put over $1000.00 back into my pocket. I had a lot of international LD, but even still, just having a basic line with call display and voicemail reaches damn near 50 bucks.

Triple play is the problem here folks. Start speaking with your wallet and Rogers will seen start listening.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to jduffy

Premium Member

to jduffy
The problem is when those services are provided by an oligopoly(monopoly in their particular offerings), its like chowing between two evils, which is going to hurt more?
Joe1419
join:2007-10-31

Joe1419 to Sunfox

to Sunfox
Anyone who wants to shove it to rogers, you can cancel your services without penalty due to this rate change, even though you are on contract.

See here for proof straight from the robber's mouth:
»www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· rt-terms
(or »www.rogers.com/terms )

"Residents of Ontario who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s) without any early cancellation fee, device savings recovery fee or service deactivation fee, as applicable, by sending us a notice to that effect no later than 30 days after receiving the rate increase notice."

Show them you won't take this increase by voting with your wallet!

Beermage
@rogers.com

Beermage

Anon

said by Joe1419:

Anyone who wants to shove it to rogers, you can cancel your services without penalty due to this rate change, even though you are on contract.

See here for proof straight from the robber's mouth:
»www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· rt-terms
(or »www.rogers.com/terms )

"Residents of Ontario who do not wish to accept any applicable rate increase may choose to cancel the service(s) affected by the rate increase(s) without any early cancellation fee, device savings recovery fee or service deactivation fee, as applicable, by sending us a notice to that effect no later than 30 days after receiving the rate increase notice."

Show them you won't take this increase by voting with your wallet!

It's 30 days after receiving the rate increase notice. I think most people received their notice in late December early January. So that would mean it would be too late for most people to cancel without a cancellation fee.