uniqs
share rss forum feed

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to ejg1

Re: SSD Drives have arrived - I have Q's

When are you starting the timer? When you see the Windows bootup screen or when the PC first turns on? If it's the latter, the extra time could be from the RAID option ROM kicking in (you should see an additional screen between POST and Windows).
--
KI6RIT

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to ImpldConsent

There's really nothing to explain -- the numbers in WEI mean jack squat. They've always meant jack squat, and they will always mean jack squat. They're arbitrary numbers that represents absolutely nothing useful in the real world. There's no comparison model, there's no indication how the numbers are calculated, there's no break down of how each test affects the number, and there's no unit. For sake of example, compare what WEI gives you to, say, the above ATTO results. ATTO's numbers make perfect sense and represent something real and useful -- WEI is just a number.

Imagine going into a home repair store and telling the clerk "I need some piping". The clerk asks you "what type and what for?" and you respond "I don't know". The clerk asks you what length, and you reply "5". "Five what?" he asks, and you respond "just 5". That's WEI.

The only thing I've seen WEI used for is to determine if your system is eligible or not for Aero capability. That's it.

Otherwise I'd recommend asking about anything pertaining to WEI over on the Microsoft forum -- or better yet, ask Microsoft directly. They invented this nonsense. I'm not a Windows administrator; I do UNIX and networks.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

My take on WEI...

The gamification of PC Hardware. Spend $500 on upgrading a component and see that "HIGH SCORE" number go from a 5.4 to 7.9 in psycho-emotional payoff! Elated yet? Let the serotonin flow! Aren't you addicted already???
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

WTF is WEI? (that's my take on it)

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Windows Experience Index