cjs1
Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
Trumbull, CT

cjs1

Premium Member

Bathroom-Switch operates light and fan, want fan, not light

So this is somewhat of a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.

My bath is wired such that the same switch operates both a fluorescent light fixture and the exhaust fan. I want to use the fan, but not the light.

If I simply take the bulbs out of the light and continue to turn the fan on/off with the switch will this damage the fluorescent fixture? (i.e. mess up the ballast or something...?)

I assume that having no bulbs in there would just make the light an open circuit and this would be ok, but I'm clueless about how fluorescent lights actually work.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

If the fixture uses the old pre-heat circuit with a starter, removing the bulbs, more than likely, opens the circuit. Most modern circuits, with the exception of the T-12 slimline instant start, have the ballast continually powered while the fixture is powered. I would advise disconnecting (or having it done) regardless of type.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to cjs1

Premium Member

to cjs1
Yes, agree. Best way to do this long term is to disconnect the wires feeding the light. Leave them in there in case the next person wants to use it.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru

MVM

said by garys_2k:

Yes, agree. Best way to do this long term is to disconnect the wires feeding the light. Leave them in there in case the next person wants to use it.

Alternatively, add a switch at the fixture. Then it can easily be turned on if needed but it able to be left off normally.

cjs1
Chris
Premium Member
Trumbull, CT

cjs1

Premium Member

Thanks all!

Apparently it wasn't as dumb of a question as I thought.
JimmySask
join:2004-06-24
Regina, SK

JimmySask to cjs1

to cjs1
Similar situation in my house when I bought it. Both devices were separate runs back to the wiring box, so I found my solution in the form of a slightly pricy light switch - »homehardware.ca/en/rec/i ··· I3673028.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to cjs1

Premium Member

to cjs1
said by cjs1:

The only dumb questions are those that weren't asked because it was thought to be a dumb question, whereupon something even dumber happens that could have been avoided simply by asking perfectly reasonable questions...

cjs1
Chris
Premium Member
Trumbull, CT

cjs1

Premium Member

said by dick white:

said by cjs1:

The only dumb questions are those that weren't asked because it was thought to be a dumb question, whereupon something even dumber happens that could have been avoided simply by asking perfectly reasonable questions...

Well said. Exactly why I asked - never hurts to be sure.

JimmySask - Thanks. Definitely an option.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to cjs1

to cjs1
My Exhaust Fan and Light are on one wall switch, and I added a pull-cord-type switch (pull-On, pull-Off), for the fan, to the grill of this two-in-one fixture. Has worked fine for years. A similar switch might work with your fluorescent light, though of course if you're not comfortable working with the 120VAC power to the fixture, then don't muck with it and call an electrician instead.