spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230

Why don't you guys offer unlimited?

So I am with Cogeco and have been with Teksavvy before. I was looking to go back with them when my Cogeco contract was up since I heard they are getting Cable in most to all Cogeco areas. Though now with the delays it could be November of next year they would get it which is way too long to wait. Now I have been considering other companies like you who offer cable in my area at the moment. Though with Teksavvy they have unlimited available in all cable packages you don't and that is making me a little scared. I would want to know why? I would be glad to pay extra. Teksavvy offered to do that with their 2 Mbps package but it was just too slow. Why can't you?

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

It's not possible for Start to offer unlimited bandwidth through their Cogeco internet packages because the cost for them would be too steep for that option. That has to do with the wholesale rates that the CRTC has set (and hopefully those rates will be lowered soon). This is also why i suspect Teksavvy is waiting on a decision from the CRTC (involving a review of those wholesale rates), before introducing province wide availability of cable internet in all other areas besides Chatham.

Right now the cap for the highest tier is 400 GB, which although not unlimited is still pretty good.

You have to understand, that with Teksavvy, the reason they are offering unlimited with their cable packages is that in Rogers territory anyway, Teksavvy is on the dis-aggregated Rogers network, which allows them to offer unlimited. Chatham cable internet (using Cogeco infrastructure) is also dis-aggregated (in a way).

Start internet services in Cogeco territories as well as Rogers territories use the "aggregated" model, which involves different wholesale costs compared to the "dis-aggregated" network that Teksavvy uses, and the wholesale costs for the aggregated model make it too cost prohibited at this time to offer unlimited.

Blame the CRTC and the incumbents, although i hope that the CRTC lowers the wholesale rates soon.

Also keep in mind that Teksavvy will move to the aggregated model eventually (soon ?), so we don't know if they will be able to offer unlimited in the future, and if they can, will the rates be higher ?

I'll let Rocca answer what i've missed, if he chooses to.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to tristen1230

to tristen1230
While back, Rocca had explained it and I found that post, it explains in details on why and why not.
»Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Thanks guys, I think you covered that perfectly.

...and please excuse my tardiness on dslr for a few more days.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

said by rocca:

Hmmmmm... what kind of secret plans are u working on Rocca ?
80289148 (banned)
join:2012-12-24

80289148 (banned) to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Thanks guys, I think you covered that perfectly.

It's all my fault. Yeah I know.