spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brmcghee
join:2013-01-03
Langley, BC

brmcghee

[BC] Shaw Upload Speed

i live in langley and wanted to know. is there a way to get a higher upload speed (pay a fee?) i dont need 100mb down, i have 50down but i need 10+ up. i stream 1080p on twitch and other websites and need to be able to encode and send the frames.

so is there a way to pay to increase your upload speed?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Delete
kevinds

kevinds to brmcghee

Premium Member

to brmcghee
No,

Residental 100 is 5 up for $85
Business 50 is 5 up for $99, $80 on promo

I don't know if 250 is available in Langly yet, but it has 15mbps upload.
e_phils
join:2001-04-19
Canada

e_phils to brmcghee

to brmcghee
said by brmcghee:

i live in langley and wanted to know. is there a way to get a higher upload speed (pay a fee?) i dont need 100mb down, i have 50down but i need 10+ up.

Telus HS50/Optik 50 has an upstream of 10 megabits. I have the service currently and live in Langley as well.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Living in the same city does not mean he is eligle for the 50Mb Telus plan. He may live too far from a remote dslam or the CO to get the service. Loop distances can be as much as one person gets the service, the guy 50FT away cannot. Also, the Actiontec is a steaming turd of a device, and Telus won't let you legally bridge it.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

Give telus a call. They offer a great 50/10 service.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

They definitely do! The trick is to get the Actiontec to not burn out. If you can get a good one, it's a good service. I can't get over the single point of failure for the entire TV and Internet service.

sBB100
@74.198.150.x

sBB100 to brmcghee

Anon

to brmcghee
Upgrade to BB100 it's $10 more ($85) than Optik 50 standalone and has twice the download - 100 down and 10 up. Difference if you have TV too is telus equipment fee rentals if you don't want a contract.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

The BB100 plan doesn't have 10 up everywhere, many places it is still 5 up. Residental BB50 being 3.
kevinds

kevinds to spock8

Premium Member

to spock8
They didn't offer me any great 50/10 service.

Fastest they offered me was 25/2.5 minus overhead.

spock8

spock8

No its not minus overhead. The profile sync is higher so you will receive 25/2.5

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by spock8:

No its not minus overhead. The profile sync is higher so you will receive 25/2.5

Not even close. The profiles sync higher, and QoS allows some wiggle room. With my PVR recording 3HD streams, my internet speeds dropped to 17Mb/s X 1.7Mb/s. They do sync the line higher, but the more STB's will bring the speeds down. QoS can only do so much

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spock8

Premium Member

to spock8
@spock

First you said they offer a great 50/10 service. Now you can promise I will get 25/2.5?

Thats half the upload I get now, which is my concern. Paying Shaw an extra $10/month for two modems at 100/5 has much better speeds.

spock8

spock8 to rustydusty

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

said by spock8:

Not even close. The profiles sync higher, and QoS allows some wiggle room. With my PVR recording 3HD streams, my internet speeds dropped to 17Mb/s X 1.7Mb/s. They do sync the line higher, but the more STB's will bring the speeds down. QoS can only do so much

So rusty you currently have Optik?

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by spock8:

said by rustydusty:

said by spock8:

So rusty you currently have Optik?

Negative, got rid of it after my 3rd Actiontec device failed. Last time was on a long weekend, had to wait 4 days till I had TV and Internet again. Also got no compensation for all the downtime on either occasion. Their new service definitely interests me, for the internet only. I can't get over the fact they don't supply a modem only device if requested.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

ALU or bridge mode. Bingo.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to brmcghee

to brmcghee
Finding an ALU is near impossible. You can bridge the Actiontec but it isn't supported and I'm not sure if they would warranty the device if they found custom firmware on it. Regardless, Telus should provide a standalone device if requested, or have custom firmware for the Actiontec to bridge it. Also, bridging the Actiontec doesn't get around the fact IMO, the hardware is crap. Loading software on it will alleviate the double NAT issue, but it won't fix the hardware on the inside of the case.

spock8

spock8

Like you say rusty the difference between shaw and telus can be different in each area. On vancouver island I experienced huge swings in ping and speed depending on the time of day with shaw. Shaw made gaming and voip quality suffer during prime time. I was also getting tired of the constant price increases last year. I went to telus for tv and internet and was happy. I ended up moving to teksavvy because I like how they run their business. I now get my tv via ota and netflix

When I had optik my modem would sync to 34m down 3.2up

I had no issues getting 25meg down when recording 2HD streams. When using 3hd stream I would get 20m down.

Currently I'm using teksavvy and receive these speeds 24/7

ping was a little high from qos rules, my wife was on the phone

spock8

spock8 to rustydusty

to rustydusty
I must have lucked out with my actiontech.
spock8

spock8 to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

@spock

First you said they offer a great 50/10 service. Now you can promise I will get 25/2.5?

Thats half the upload I get now, which is my concern. Paying Shaw an extra $10/month for two modems at 100/5 has much better speeds.

I know you will get 25/2.5

It isn't like the old days when the advertised speeds were the sync speeds minus overhead. 25/2.5 is 32/3 sync. That is totally dependent on your location of course.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to brmcghee

to brmcghee
I was at the very limit for Optik and didn't sync much higher than the profile needed. Infact the tool wouldn't qualify me, but I have help to make that happen. The higher you sync, the better off you are of not seeing it take speed off your line. Regardless, we have 7 TV's now in the house, 4 of which are HD boxes. Rest are just digital. I would hate to see that on the Optik side. The more STB's you add, the more the speeds on your line get eaten up. With my Shaw biz, doesn't matter how many boxes I got, or how many are recording. You can get into saturation on cable side, but line issues and loop distances are just as much of a factor as your cable saturation can be. In central AB, there was saturation about 4-5 years ago for a few months, not a single issue since.

Cable VS telco = same $!#$, different pile. It's personal preference, really. I've tired both, and both are comparable service. Biggest limiting factor for me being the Actiontec, single point of failure. You may have had no issues with yours yet, however when you do, you will understand my pain. Also, I do view the Telus forum and it seems Telus keeps pushing new firmware for the Actiontec and limiting functions more and more. I use my own firewalls, AP's, virtual hosts, etc. I need the capability to do some weird things that only my pfsense firewall can do, compared to the Actiontec.