uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

Al Jazeera Buys Al Gore's Current TV

Al Jazeera on Wednesday announced a deal to take over Current TV, the low-rated cable channel that was founded by Al Gore, a former vice president, and his business partners seven years ago.

Current is presently part of the Verizon line-up.

»mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2···rent-tv/

Keano

join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA

I won't miss it. Current used to be good 2-3 years ago. Deadliest Journeys and Vanguard were both excellent series. Then it became the channel of CNN & MSNBC rejects. One lame talking head after another all day long. Joy Behar??? Hopefully Verizon won't drop it like TWC just did.

Expand your moderator at work

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:2
reply to stevek1949

Re: Al Jazeera Buys Al Gore's Current TV

I hope they do drop it.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

I hope they keep it.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to stevek1949

Drop it.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to stevek1949

I don't watch it so, idc

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

I watched Current once or twice when Keith was still there.

It's not an HD channel so I won't miss it if it's dropped.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nascar

I agree. Drop the channel. I never wanted to watch it, ever. It's a useless channel in my opinion.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to stevek1949

Never watched , wont watch it...don't care...

Acct101

join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to stevek1949

I hope they drop it.

Expand your moderator at work

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to stevek1949

Re: Al Jazeera Buys Al Gore's Current TV

put me on the list of folks who say drop it.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to stevek1949

»Time Warner Cable Drops Current TV

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to stevek1949

Verizon cannot drop a channel on the spot, it depends on when the contract is up.

However, that TW article is important because you're going to see more and more of that. Non-sports will be dropped because of the massive sports fees. Which is why I have been so against BeIN and PAC-12, etc.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
reply to stevek1949

I want BeIN though, same owner, but it's Futbol.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

Verizon cannot drop a channel on the spot, it depends on when the contract is up.

Not necessarily. The Time Warner contract had a clause that allowed dropping the channel if the channel's ownership changed, which is what happened. Verizon's contract may have a similar clause.

Time Warner didn't want to pay and charge their customers for a channel that had a free Internet feed, which Al Jazeera has, including Windows 8 and Android apps to access the live feed that work well (beyond web browser access).

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by PJL:

Not necessarily. The Time Warner contract had a clause that allowed dropping the channel if the channel's ownership changed, which is what happened. Verizon's contract may have a similar clause.

They also can sever a contract if the programming changes dramatically as it will in this case.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

said by bohratom:

said by PJL:

They also can sever a contract if the programming changes dramatically as it will in this case.

Again, it depends solely on the terms and conditions of the individual contract. A contract would define the specific conditions which allow a party to terminate the contract, and unless "dramatic program changes" is a clause (which I doubt it would be unless "dramatic" was clearly defined), then a "dramatic program change" wouldn't allow terminating the contract.

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to stevek1949

Fios already added Al-Jazeera English (don't remember what channel it is), so wouldn't this be a case of redundancy? They can drop one or the other and still provide the programming.

PJL

Long Beach, CA

bushleaguer, Al-Jazeera English may be available in some markets (like around Washington DC), but not in Southern California. I searched your zip code and couldn't find it there either.

RadioBob

join:2008-03-31
Severna Park, MD

Woudn't mind if fios carried it at least for a while...Kind of like to see what sort of coverage it would feature.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to stevek1949

No one has said the channel was changing formats either.

Njdny12

@verizon.net
reply to stevek1949

Keep. The idea that we are voting on whether to keep or remove a channel because of a change in ownership is stupid. Let's can some of the redundant reality nets from Comcast or time Warner or can ESPN ocho and save coin that way. This is red scare2.0. Stupid then, stupid now.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bushleaguer

said by bushleaguer:

Fios already added Al-Jazeera English (don't remember what channel it is), so wouldn't this be a case of redundancy? They can drop one or the other and still provide the programming.

Al-Jazeera English is broadcast over-the-air on subchannels in various markets around the country. In those areas, must-carry rules force Verizon to carry it as well.

This new channel will reportedly not be the same as the Al-Jazeera English that we have now. It will be an all-new channel based in New York providing content tailored for the US market.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

No one has said the channel was changing formats either.

Al-Jazeera is reportedly setting up a new base in New York specifically to create content for this new channel.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to stevek1949

Regarding the subject of programming, Al Jazeera English would be crazy to keep any of the far left hosts. I mean just think about this for a second, many Americans do not like Al Jazeera because they feel they provided a platform for Al Queda in the media. Just imagine if they kept any hosts, they would lose the vast majority of Americans because of the perception of bias.

If they have any hope of gaining a majority of American viewers they have to tack to the middle of the road. If not the network will not survive just like CurrentTv did not.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to stevek1949

CNN is "middle of the road" and their ratings are horrible. MSNBC and FOX News blister them.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by Greg2600:

CNN is "middle of the road" and their ratings are horrible. MSNBC and FOX News blister them.

CNN has the highest advertising fees of any cable news network. People may not watch them as much as Foxnews or Msnbc but they trust them.