spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paul928

join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

[JB] Looks Like No Apple TV 3 Jailbreak!

I've been waiting to jailbreak my Apple TV 3 for a while now. I had some hope during November when »www.appletv3jailbreak.com announced that the Apple TV had been jailbroken, and it was just a matter of time it would be released! Well it was promised in November, then by the end of December, but now it looks like this is just a scam of some sort! I still can't for the life of me figure out what the site had to gain by making that announcement, since the software was to be free!... Oh well the wait continues.

watice

join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

it'll be well worth it. The next AppleTV is rumored to be a gaming platform, with a larger gaming repository than all the other consoles combined (thanks to the app store). Then again, rumors are just that.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

I think it would be a smart move for them. Now the budget console is the Wii and Nintendo is moving on with the Wii U, leaving an opening in that budget $100 console market.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Paul928

There are people on eBay willing to sell you an Apple TV 3 for $1 if you send them a working Apple TV 2.

Let me get back to them on that.

My regret is not picking up 50 ATV 2's.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Paul928

Doesn't look like a JB is coming at all for any of the new devices and iOS6...

It's been too long now...

Maybe Apple finally won.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

The only valid reason I see to JB my AppleTV (v3) is to stream movies to it that may have been obtained in various ways. That's the only reason i'm keeping an eye out for a JB. The other stuff i'll never use honestly.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by shadyman777:

The only valid reason I see to JB my AppleTV (v3) is to stream movies to it that may have been obtained in various ways.

You can still do it, except it takes a shitload of time and effort to convert them... For that you might as well buy a cheapie WD Live or many of the other players...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

said by HiVolt:

said by shadyman777:

The only valid reason I see to JB my AppleTV (v3) is to stream movies to it that may have been obtained in various ways.

You can still do it, except it takes a shitload of time and effort to convert them... For that you might as well buy a cheapie WD Live or many of the other players...

I actually run a program called "Beamer". I used a hacked version of it to watch a movie with my Wife and it works great. I bought it afterwards for $15. It worked really well and the movie never skipped or jumped and it was in HD. It doesn't render the movie either, I believe it simply plays the movie like any other movie would play on your mac.

Link: »beamer-app.com/

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to Paul928

I realize folks like XBMC, etc, to be able to play a variety of file formats unrestricted. I have an ATV2 and still feel no need to JB. I simply convert everything to a format iTunes/ATV like and I'm done. Since moving to a Mac this is a one-step process for video with Handbrake. Piece of cake.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

RR206

join:2001-12-11
united state

Yeh. I'm not converting 1800 1080p movies.

RR206

united state
reply to Paul928

That site is crap. They keep changing the timestamps on their 1 month old stories to stay at the top of Google results.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to RR206

said by RR206:

Yeh. I'm not converting 1800 1080p movies.

Nor would I. But I have converted 800+ DVDs. As I said, for me it's a non-issue. The 50 or so Blu-rays I have can stay on Blu-ray.

Wanna buy an ATV2? lol
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

RR206

united state

No thanks. LOL I have plenty to cover me. They work great for playback. I would just like the ATV3 JB for faster XBMC UI, and better skins. However they have been a better return this year than my stocks if I were to sell them.

I wonder if anyone has looked at hardware level jailbreaks. Like the Xbox 360. Reset the CPU so many times in fast succession, and you end up with an exploitable hole.

Paul928

Haverhill, MA

That's exactly the reason I want the jailbreak for ATV3 ....I want to access XBMC! But, I found another solution. I was at a friends house last night, and he had an Android Mini PC...Looks no bigger than an external USB modem....runs jellybean, and is very fast...basically it's specs are on the lines of an Android tablet..So you can run games, apps, surf the web, anything you can do in the Android OS you can do on this thing...price? $54.00....no brainer for me!!! I was thinking of selling my ATV3 and buying an ATV2 on craigslist...but this is a more functional solution, along with being a better financial solution.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

I picked up a Raspberry Pi, case, and sd card for like $50 and run this on it:

»www.raspbmc.com

Seems to work ok.

Paul928

Haverhill, MA

said by rugby:

»www.raspbmc.com

Seems to work ok.

sounds like a great solution as well....I've heard a lot of positive things about the rasberrypi project......sounds basically like the solution that I found....the mini pc that I ordered is the MK808 Mini PC....there are many reviews on youtube, and bought it off of Amazon for $54.00

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium
join:2002-11-14
Albany, GA
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by shadyman777:

HandBrakeBatch and a few clever HandBrake presents makes this not such a big problem.

IhatemyISP
MM1 Corbski
Premium
join:2003-01-27
Hampton, VA

said by SuperJudge:

said by HiVolt:

said by shadyman777:

HandBrakeBatch and a few clever HandBrake presents makes this not such a big problem.

It's not really the hassle of setting it up to convert, it's the time. Even on my i5 iMac, a full length 1080p MKV conversion to HD Apple takes 4 to 6 hours, and that's with me not using my machine.
--
Machinists Mates
"We screw, nut, and bolt"
"A hostile work environment"

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium
join:2002-11-14
Albany, GA

said by IhatemyISP:

It's not really the hassle of setting it up to convert, it's the time. Even on my i5 iMac, a full length 1080p MKV conversion to HD Apple takes 4 to 6 hours, and that's with me not using my machine.

I feel you, but I did it and didn't consider it a wasted effort. I use special strings that take longer than normal encodes but get much better quality at slightly higher compression.

Really, totally worth it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by SuperJudge:

said by IhatemyISP:

I feel you, but I did it and didn't consider it a wasted effort. I use special strings that take longer than normal encodes but get much better quality at slightly higher compression.

Really clearly not for IhatemyISP See Profile.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

IhatemyISP
MM1 Corbski
Premium
join:2003-01-27
Hampton, VA
reply to SuperJudge

said by SuperJudge:

said by IhatemyISP:

Perhaps for you it is. I'll just stick with my XBMC running on a Zotac MagHD with a SSD.
--
Machinists Mates
"We screw, nut, and bolt"
"A hostile work environment"

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to Paul928

Forget it and convert on the fly.
»www.inmethod.com/air-video/index···F7658599

RR206

united state
reply to rugby

said by rugby:

»www.raspbmc.com

Seems to work ok.

Those seem to have the same UI lag as the ATV2s though. There are dual & quad core clones of them though starting in the $100 range.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to gjrhine

said by gjrhine:

Forget it and convert on the fly.
»www.inmethod.com/air-video/index···F7658599

That's what I do with Subsonic, »www.subsonic.org and if you use the iSub app on ipad and iPhone you can do both video and music streaming on the fly. Also you can go to your own personal webpage from anywhere in the world and view everything you have.
Expand your moderator at work

chip89

join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to RR206

Re: [JB] Looks Like No Apple TV 3 Jailbreak!

Or blow up the CPU from resting it to fast.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

How does one "rest" to [sic] fast?

chip89

join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

Trust me Don't rest it to rapidly in a short time period if you don't want a nice white paper wight.