uniqs
share rss forum feed

Iceman0803

join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ

1 edit

[ALL] Correctable/Uncorrectables question

Click for full size
I've noticed that my downstream channels 4, 5, and 6 have a lot of correctables/uncorrectables when compared to downstream channels 1, 2, and 3 is this normal or is it indicative of a problem?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

If that's a 6180 we're looking at there's a known issue where the codeword counters will accumulate falsely while the status screen is being displayed.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

I have TWC and that is my current amount on the modem. I now have a Zoom 5341J since I had some weirdness with my SB6141, but both showed correctable and uncorrectable errors, while the SB6141 showed some T3's, a few reboots and around double codeword errors. I haven't been able to figure out why or if it is even accurate. Do you have any errors in the logs or is it clean, if its cleans and your internet is working well then I bet its false as coxtech1 has said.

Iceman0803

join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ

2 edits
reply to CoxTech1

said by CoxTech1:

If that's a 6180 we're looking at there's a known issue where the codeword counters will accumulate falsely while the status screen is being displayed.

Yes it is a 6180. Also, the issue isn't with the total amount of codewords, it's that channels 4, 5, and 6 have MANY more codewords than 1, 2, and 3. For example look at my screenshot vs scififan68's.The lowest amount of codewords (uncorrectable) on his is 40572 while his highest is 43004. Now look at mine. My lowest is 0 while my highest is 21146. As you can see it's a MUCH larger gap. This made me think that there may be an issue with those particular channels. However, if you think there's nothing to worry about then I won't worry. Thank you, by the way, for your input on this.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast

If it's not dropping the connection, lagging out, or causing other problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Correctable means the modem itself was able to repair the packet/symbol. Uncorrectable means it had to re-request the packet from Cox, a process that takes a couple of milliseconds. In either case, the data arrives to your computer correctly after the modem "fixes" it.

As long as you're not seeing any performance or usability problems, the modem's error checking routines are doing what they should be doing. One channel or the other will always have more or less noise, different attenuation characteristics, and varying power levels. Not all frequencies perform the same over the same signal path. Plainly, some channels will be better than others no matter what.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
reply to Iceman0803

I don't recall the particulars but it may not show the issue on all channels however if you leave the status page open they will continue to accumulate.

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
reply to Iceman0803

Click for full size
Got errors?
Channel 1 is the winner with my SBG-6580, which I have been told is simply a 6180 with router and wireless hardware present. This screenshot is after about 24 hours of running time. Any idea if the "accumulating error issue" applies to the SBG-6580 as well?
--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

No, Ender3rd you SNR is low, so you really do have an issue! You have a noise issue , although your modem is correcting most of the errors. Plus your shear amount of errors is a sign that you have a problem.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
reply to Ender3rd

As scififan said, your SNR is in the 30's. If you look at everyone else above, it's in the 40's. You really do have a consistent signal problem.

Ender3rd

Connecticut

Yes, it is an ongoing issue in my area. Cox is aware but has not yet been able to locate the point of ingress. Packet loss from this area to the CMTS is quite persistent so the connection is fairly useless for much of the day.
--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

The firmware between the 6180 and 6580 is nearly identical and based on the data you posted it appears the bug is likely included in yours too. Note the value, close the interface for a while, then come back and note the value again to see if much accumulation has occurred since you last closed it.

Ender3rd

Connecticut

Double post - deleted

Ender3rd

Connecticut

3 edits
reply to CoxTech1

Click for full size
22 hours later
I entered the modem diagnostics this morning and took another screenshot roughly 22 hours later and the number of "correctable" errors has increased significantly. In fact one of the downstream channels has nearly doubled. Given the fact that my connection is nearly dead this morning and with the current amount of packet loss I am seeing along with the flood of T3 errors in the log I believe the count is probably valid.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to CoxTech1

Do you have an estimate as to when revised SB6180 firmware will be released to address this issue?