share rss forum feed

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Can someone help me understand Anveo/VoIP terminology?

I'm trying to understand what Anveo/VoIP services that I would need to replace a small offices POTS phone system.

Right now, they have 6 phones & 3 lines which allows 3 people to make calls at the same time.

Anveo's Business Plan talks about 6 'Users' and their Office Unlimited phone numbers talks about 2 'Dedicated Channels' and 'Can use Floating Channels'.

To duplicate their existing system, does this mean that they would need 1 Business Plan (6 phones = 6 Users) and one phone number?

What are 'Channels','Dedicated Channels' & 'Floating Channels', and, what are they used for?

Thanks for any clarification that you might provide.

Rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
»www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_channels

»www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_f···_channel

6 phones = 6 users
Channels are used for incoming calls.

With an Office unlimited phone number on a business plan then you would get up to 7 incoming calls. 2 dedicated + 5 floating.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
Sorry, 'FAQ' was hidden at the bottom of my screen - why it is not more visible is a mystery to me!

Thanks for you help.

Rob.
--
Rob.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to RobThompson
Wow! Anveo does it all! I would not even need to install a PBX - Anveo *is* the PBX!

The only question that I am still foggy about is how do you physically connect you new *corded* VoIP phones to your router?

Do you need to run new wires to each desk or can the phones be connected to each persons PC that already is wired to the router?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Rob.
--
Rob.

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
said by RobThompson:

Do you need to run new wires to each desk or can the phones be connected to each persons PC that already is wired to the router?

Some VoIP phones have a second ethernet jack where you can plug in a computer. If yours don't, you would have to get either an ethernet splitter (only works if your network is not gigabit) or (better) a switch.

If you have a second network card, you *could* connect the phone to the computer like you suggest, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by jobr:

you would have to get either an ethernet splitter (only works if your network is not gigabit)

... what is this device? I've never heard of such a thing and pretty sure it can't exist given how modern networks are wired.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

jobr

Halifax, NS
I only learned of their existence recently too. See »superuser.com/questions/104050/d···d-switch for a good explanation.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
I see. It's not so much a splitter as it is a way to violate the standards and misuse the additional conductors inside the network cable.

It's the same kind of hack (and yes, it's a hack) that can be used to add an ethernet signal to the telephone wiring in buildings that have cat5 wired up to each phone jacks, but no wiring for networks.

Both the switch and what I described should be last resorts only.
--

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to Trev
There is a relevant thread in the Networking forum:

»Ethernet split

jobr

Halifax, NS
reply to Trev
said by Trev:

Could you please expand on this a bit? I agree that the splitter is a hack, but what's wrong with adding a switch?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
said by jobr:

said by Trev:

Could you please expand on this a bit? I agree that the splitter is a hack, but what's wrong with adding a switch?

s/switch/splitter/

Sorry, a proper network switch is perfectly acceptable. Using the "unused" conductors is not a best practice.
--

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to RobThompson
What VoIP phones are you connecting?

You can use a switch at each location but that can get messy.

Some of the cordless phones, like the Panasonic allow multiple wireless stations and have many combinations of subaccounts/users and only need 1 wired connection at the base station.

connor79

join:2011-11-02
reply to RobThompson
If you already have Ethernet run to each desk which is connected to a PC there then you just need to make sure that the IP Phones you buy have a PC passthrough port on them. Most do, but some cheaper ones don't. Like usually entry level models skimp on that and only have 1 Ethernet port. Otherwise you just unplug the Ethernet cable from the PC and plug it into the LAN port on your phone, then you plug your PC into the PC port on the back of the phone.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
reply to RobThompson
Thanks people!