kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

1 edit

[OS X] What happened?

21" 2011 iMac
12 Gigs RAM
Mountain Lion

I starting using my mac which had an uptime of over 40 days, I thought this wasn't an issue for Macs, and I had both Safari and Firefox open in different spaces with multiple tabs as well as BOINC running in the background. I just typed a message when I pressed the submit button to reply to a topic on one of the forums I visit when I got the beach ball. I think nothing of it at first but then I notice it's not just the browser that locked up. I can't use mission control, switch spaces, or really do anything. Even command + option + esc didn't work. The only thing I could do to recover is press and hold the power button down and turn the Mac on again. Any idea what happened here?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

I'm sure only having "12 Megs" of RAM had something to do with it ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

21" 2011 iMac
12 Megs RAM
Mountain Lion

I starting using my mac which had an uptime of over 40 days, I thought this wasn't an issue for Macs, and I had both Safari and Firefox open in different spaces with multiple tabs as well as BOINC running in the background. I just typed a message when I pressed the submit button to reply to a topic on one of the forums I visit when I got the beach ball. I think nothing of it at first but then I notice it's not just the browser that locked up. I can't use mission control, switch spaces, or really do anything. Even command + option + esc didn't work. The only thing I could do to recover is press and hold the power button down and turn the Mac on again. Any idea what happened here?

Take a look at your BOINC settings - idle time, cpu (numbers, percents, etc), GPU, etc , etc
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Black_Mage
My backup spell is Warp
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

I'm sure only having "12 Megs" of RAM had something to do with it ...

LOL! Oh geeze.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Louisville, KY
reply to Black_Mage

Crash different.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to Black_Mage

I'm sure you might have a FEW pageouts to Disk......after 40 days...even with so much RAM!!!

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI
reply to dellsweig

Safari still has a memory leak. That would eat up your RAM over 40 days.

How much free space on your drive?

Black_Mage
My backup spell is Warp
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
reply to Black_Mage

192 gigs.