Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

IPv6_NOT

@comcast.net
reply to plencnerb

Re: [IPv6] Issues with IPv6 and pfsense [SOLVED]

said by plencnerb:

That is interesting.

I'm not seeing the dual WAN IPv6 IP's like you posted in your screen shot, but I did notice that the last part is different with my IPv6 IP.

I have no idea what you call each section, but the first 4 items are the same, but the last 4 are different.

Yet, my router, and cable modem have not been rebooted since I noted what my IPv6 IP address was.

Below is what I'm talking about.

My IPv6 IP, on 12/12/2012 around 12:30 PM
2001:558:6033:ad:7d1b:4b65:f6a7:4462

PFSense is now showing this
2001:558:6033:ad:149f:8627:2f1:9d33

The part after the :ad: is what has changed.

Is that what you are talking about?

It only takes a few minutes to reboot my router, so I may go ahead and do that this morning and report back.

--Brian

Yes, that is what I was talking about. I don't always see the dual WAN IPv6 assignments showing in the GUI status page either (but I suspect it is there but just not showing). Sometimes it also manifests itself as two LAN IPv6 addresses with the PD portion changed, but the DUID (the last part of the IPv6 address) not changed.

In either case I think what has happened is that the DHCP6 has assigned a new IP address, but the old IPv6 address is also still assigned. I think that this is happening in my Netgear router because it is getting a /64 WAN assignment when it should be getting a /128, but there is no configuration setting that I can make to change that. I noticed that in one of your pfsense screen shots that you also were getting a /64 WAN assignment, so if you can change that in the pfsense config, you may be able to prevent this from happening again.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size

said by IPv6_NOT :

I think that this is happening in my Netgear router because it is getting a /64 WAN assignment when it should be getting a /128, but there is no configuration setting that I can make to change that. I noticed that in one of your pfsense screen shots that you also were getting a /64 WAN assignment, so if you can change that in the pfsense config, you may be able to prevent this from happening again.

Are you talking about the section that I posted above in pic #1? That section is on the WAN interface configuration.

If so, the values that I can select there are shown in pic #2. Does not look like I have the option to set that to be /128, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

IPv6_NOT

@comcast.net

said by plencnerb:

Are you talking about the section that I posted above in pic #1? That section is on the WAN interface configuration.

If so, the values that I can select there are shown in pic #2. Does not look like I have the option to set that to be /128, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot.

--Brian

I am not very familiar with pfsense, but everything I have seen in this and other forums discussing how Comcast assigns IPv6 addresses has implied that a standalone PC or a router WAN interface should receive a /128 IPv6 address beginning with 2001:558:xxxx:yy.

I don't have access to the hidden OpenWRT configuration in my Comcast supplied Netgear router and the only workable WAN options I have available are "Auto Detect" and "DHCP", and both give me a /64 IP address assignment. I know someone with a D-Link router, and that router does not explicitly have a selection choice for the WAN IP address allocation size either, but his router does get a /128 from Comcast, and his router's WAN IPv6 address is stable.

If you can't manually select a /128 preference for the WAN allocation size in pfsense, perhaps selecting "None" might work?