spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jmaninpgh
join:2001-12-12
Allison Park, PA

jmaninpgh

[Wired] Slow wired speeds through WRT54GL V1.1

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I tried searching for related questions but didn't find anything.

Very recently, Comcast offered a free upgrade to a new modem that will take advantage of higher speeds. I installed that yesterday and with a direct wired connection from PC to modem I was averaging about 70Mbps download speed. That was about 3 times the speed compared to the old modem. No issues there.

When I connect the PC to the router by wire, my download speed drops to about 20Mbps. I have the latest Linksys/Cisco firmware which I believe is Ver.4.30.15.

Is there anything that I can do in the configuration to help this? Or is it possible the router is too old to handle the newer Comcast speeds? The router has been rock solid for years. The PC is new and somewhat of a beast.

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

1 recommendation

Kyawa

Premium Member

I'll take a guess and it may be because you have two routers active: the modem from Comcast is a router as is the WRT54G. You can either put the modem in bridge mode (preferred) or disable DHCP in the Linksys. You have the cable fro the modem plugged into the Internet port on the Linksys, correct?
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

jmaninpgh

Yes that is correct. The cable from the modem is plugged into the correct port of the router.

Is bridge mode similar to just having a pass through? That is what I thought should happen in the router. If not, then why is bridge mode preferred in the modem?

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa to jmaninpgh

Premium Member

to jmaninpgh
Yes, bridge mode is pass through. Unless you set up the Linksys as a switch (no DHCP), it defaults to a router. I can't understand by your post if you have done that.
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

jmaninpgh

Sorry for some confusion but this is an area that I am not too familiar with. I did nothing other than install the new modem and went through the Comcast online activation. I started doing speed tests and found the irregularities. Everything works very well but I was trying to understand why wired speed through the router is slower than a direct connection to the modem. The modem is an Arris TM822. I don't know if it is considered a router.

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

1 edit

Kyawa

Premium Member

OK. I'll do some research. One first glance, it appears to be a VOIP modem. Are you running your phones through the modem as well? Lastly, there are 2 versions. Do you have the A/S or G model?

Edit to add: it looks like it is just a gateway so no configuration is necessary. Do you know enough to access the setup on the Linksys?
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

1 edit

jmaninpgh

I am not at home at the moment but I don't remember an A/S or G designation on the label. I can check that later today.

Yes it is a VOIP modem as I have their triple play option so everything goes through that modem.

Yes I can access the setup on the Linksys with no problem . . . when I am at home tonight. I was hoping there might be something in the configuration to change. As long as the modem is capable.

Edit: I just checked the modem and the actual model number is TM822G/CT.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to jmaninpgh

to jmaninpgh
said by jmaninpgh:

When I connect the PC to the router by wire, my download speed drops to about 20Mbps. I have the latest Linksys/Cisco firmware which I believe is Ver.4.30.15.

The router is hardware limited by the cpu speed to about 20 Mbps.
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

1 edit

jmaninpgh

That is what I was hoping to find out. I thought the limit might be 54 Mbps.

This is probably a mistake. The 54 Mbps is the wireless limit.

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

A lot of people are getting more than 20 M with that router.
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

jmaninpgh

said by Kyawa:

A lot of people are getting more than 20 M with that router.

I wish I could find that stated somewhere on Linksys/Cisco website. If this is true then a new router is obviously needed. I just want to make sure before I go an buy one.

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

Just Google "WRT54GL throughput"

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag to jmaninpgh

Premium Member

to jmaninpgh
I think my WRT54GLv1.1 with Tomato on it ran 25-30mbps when routing WAN to LAN. I upgraded to a newer router to make use of the 50mbps service from Comcast.
jmaninpgh
Allison Park, PA

jmaninpgh

said by QuakeFrag:

I think my WRT54GLv1.1 with Tomato on it ran 25-30mbps when routing WAN to LAN. I upgraded to a newer router to make use of the 50mbps service from Comcast.

What router did you end up getting if you don't mind me asking?

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

said by jmaninpgh:

What router did you end up getting if you don't mind me asking?

ASUS RT-N16:
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s00_i00

It was one of the highly recommended routers for running third party firmware. I never used the stock firmware, if that is your plan I cannot comment on it, sorry. I use toastman firmware based on tomato, no issues with it.