uniqs
share rss forum feed

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1

How many brands Sprint?

Since Sprint already owns (the far more value-priced) Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless brands, why splinter their market even more with this COMPLETELY uncompetitive offering? I've been a Sprint customer since they picked up Nextel, but they took a darling of the business market (Nextel) and utterly destroyed it, hopped on the Wimax bandwagon and invested in the money-pit known as Clear, and now this?!? The sale to Softbank needs to be finalized quickly so someone with a clue can start running this company.
--
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Devils Advocate here, from a marketing standpoint it makes sense. You have Boost for the urban youth segment, Virgin Mobile for the trendy youth segment, Assurance for the over 65/low income segment. Now you will have the main brand offering prepaid like the other 3 do under their main brand. There are some that probaly would buy Sprint prepaid, that were turned off at the marketing of the other brands had. Do you really want to be a college grad walking around with a Boost phone that co-workers will think of hip hop or Virgin Mobile and think teen girl.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
Wow... People really do care about brand these days still.

I use a T-Mobile prepaid reseller; SIMPLE Mobile. You wouldn't know this because I use an LG Phone that is T-Mobile branded.

A phone is a phone, unless your phone of choice is a Sidekick. Then you deserve that connotation.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to airwavz
Although do they really own the Virgin Mobile brand? VM is a HUGE brand and not even American. The CEO/Founder of Virgin owns a TON of properties and racks in MILLIONS over "Virgin". It is still fairly recent (last few years) that VM became a "Sprint brand" under Sprint Prepaid, before it was just a regular MVNO and still pretty much treated as one.

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to airwavz
Yes, in the US market. Virgin Mobile America is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sprint (since they purchased the remainder of the partnership in 2009), which pays a small royalty to VM Europe. Virgin Mobile in other countries is licensed / owned by Virgin Mobile Europe, a division of Virgin Group, run by Sir Richard Branson (who still participates in the branding / advertising for VM America).
--
Original account from 2000 - given up in protest (I don't believe in 'Political Correctness') - but DSLR is STILL my home page...