uniqs

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to 54067323

Premium Member

to 54067323

Re: How to calculate the amperage of paralleled conductors???

said by 54067323:

said by garys_2k:

A number 10 wire is 6 mm2, so four of them would be 24 mm2, a bit less than a number 4 wire.

Thank you, I calculated the load at 56 amps and that information keeps me well within the margin I have to work with...

Do you have two circuits that you need to parallel to run a single 56 A load (where the total of four conductors includes two "hots" and two neutrals, EACH being paralleled to two pairs of conductors will carry the total current)? Or, you have four circuits (four hots, four neutrals) that you will parallel to run this load?
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by garys_2k:

Do you have two circuits that you need to parallel to run a single 56 A load (where the total of four conductors includes two "hots" and two neutrals, EACH being paralleled to two pairs of conductors will carry the total current)? Or, you have four circuits (four hots, four neutrals) that you will parallel to run this load?

i need about 50 amps so what we are doing at the feed end is to take as many number 10 wires as we can prove out (8 or more) and connecting them to a multi-tap which is connected to a 60 amp outlet on a distrobox, then at the other end we are pulling the wires out of junction boxs close to where we need the power chopping lose from their "loads" then using more multi-taps combining them to the inlet of another distrobox and from there the lighting is connected.

the existing wiring is tinned so it's easy to work with but the junction boxes are rusted out rat bottoms that I have had to use a cold chisel and a 5 pound sledge on to get the covers off.

so far we powered up two areas wth no problems.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

2 recommendations

Bob4

said by 54067323:

take as many number 10 wires as we can prove out

the junction boxes are rusted out rat bottoms that I have had to use a cold chisel and a 5 pound sledge on to get the covers off.

So you can't inspect the wires (you're just checking for basic continuity) and have no idea as to their condition, but you know the junction boxes are all rusted. And you're going to be putting 50 amps through them.

What could go wrong?
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by Bob4:

So you can't inspect the wires (you're just checking for basic continuity) and have no idea as to their condition, but you know the junction boxes are all rusted. And you're going to be putting 50 amps through them.

In the boxes we have opened the wiring looks good and megs out just fine.

What could go wrong?

Hopefully nothing