IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'll stick with postpaid

I'll stick with postpaid, better selection of phones, carrier subsidies, and better coverage is all the benefits of postpaid. I would rather spend $299 on an iPhone as opposed to the full $749.

I was in the Maine Mall Verizon store last week and I overheard a sales rep saying you have access to more towers on postpaid (which is basically saying you can only use Verizon owned towers on prepaid and you'll be charged roaming on extended network towers).
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

On the other hand, prepaid has its benefits too, such as:

- Pay for only what you use
- No contracts
- No ETFs/Lock ins
- Often times, no taxes/below the line fees
- Being able to shop around for discounted refill rates

Prepaid has drawbacks too, such as being diligent on your minutes if you're not on "unlimited" plans, having to purchase your own devices with no subsidies (but let's face it, even postpaid you're just amortizing the cost of the device anyway), having to shop for and load pins if you want discounted rates, potential service gaps depending on the carrier, roaming agreements or lack thereof.

Honestly, unless you're a diehard traveler, I haven't met many people that wouldn't do just fine on a prepaid plan. But then again, it comes down to people being lazy - and being willing to pay the cost for being lazy. And this is exactly what Verizon, AT&T and Sprint expect from the typical American consumer. And it's why Verizon, AT&T and (to a much lesser extent) Sprint are filthy stinkin' rich.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e

Add another annoyance with prepaid... The phones typically contains software that will constantly pester you about your balance. After every phone call, text message, and web access the phone will pop up with a message telling you your current balance that has too be dismissed before you can continue, even when you've got a thousand minutes and text messages left.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

That's not the phone, that's the carrier. And that's a holdover (and a good idea actually) from POSTPAID stickershock rules. Postpaid plans have the same issues, now that you're no longer on all-you-can-eat Data plans.

Another nice feature of prepaid - if I want a smartphone without a data plan, I can have a smartphone without a data plan and not be forced to pay an additional $25/month just for the "privilege" of using a smartphone.